Should I only use one real estate agent?

3 Replies

There’s only one real estate agent in town who brings me the kind of deals I’m looking for. But once in awhile I see a property listed by another agent that I’m interested in. I’m tempted to contact the listing agent directly because I’m worried I won’t have as much leverage if I bring in my regular agent. Or should I offer through her as a thank you for the deals she brings me? Any tips are appreciated.

Im an Agent in CT and in my state- I have access to all properties for sale on the MLS regardless of who is the listing agent. I know some states aren’t set up the same way but if you can throw your Agent the business for being a good person in business for you - I’m sure they would appreciate it. (Unless they don’t offer a co-broke fee for your Agent).

Originally posted by @Josh Harris :
There’s only one real estate agent in town who brings me the kind of deals I’m looking for. But once in awhile I see a property listed by another agent that I’m interested in. I’m tempted to contact the listing agent directly because I’m worried I won’t have as much leverage if I bring in my regular agent. Or should I offer through her as a thank you for the deals she brings me?

Any tips are appreciated.

The seller pays the full commission regardless if there are 1 or 2 agents involved.  If there is only 1 agent representing both sides they are extremely limited in what they can do and open themselves up to lawsuits.  So even though it is legally allowed, most companies do not allow it.  So if you called the listing agent they would refer you to someone else at their company.  

If the agent you are working with is good, and has your best interest in mind, you will probably be better off staying with them

Brie Schmidt, Real Estate Agent in Wisconsin (#57846-90) and Illinois (#471.018287)

If you are happy with the service provided by your agent & the agent works in ur best interest, use them. Loyalty pays both ways

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.