Can I get a mortgage for owner finance property?

2 Replies

So hello BiggerPockets I have a serious question to ask I know they should be basic but still I want to clarify if I'm right and also if there's another method. So previously I posted up a question about how to finance a owner finance rehab, so the main question here if I get him to agree on her owner finance property through contracts of let's say $80,000 and rehab for it because he had a previously gutted is about $20,000 so in total for the whole house it's $100,000. That's including property itself as is and also rehab. Now here's the real question if I get him to agree on that can I get a mortgage for the hundred thousand dollars I will pay for the $20,000? And also pay him off for the house?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can get a mortgage AFTER you complete the $20k rehab? If that is your question then the answer should be yes. You wouldn’t currently have bank financing on the property so there’s no seasoning period. You could get a new mortgage (for 70-80% LTV after anew appraisal)and hopefully pull out $80k to pay your seller + most / all of the $20k you spent on repairs. If you bought really well and it appraised very well, you might even pull out some cash above and beyond what you spent. This is one version of the BRRR strategy

@Mark A. You are semi correct I'm Looking for something called a Home Style Loan which would be able to actually pay for the loan for the house and also for the repairs . I've reached out to some lenders to figure this out . Now I don't know if you know anything about this but you think with a Home Style Loan I could buy it fix it up and flip it basically?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.