Brownsville, TX · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
I decided to look around at adjoining states to see if there were properties for sale within my price range. I have found some good looking properties and will run the numbers but before that I am curious if it even makes sense to consider buying property out of state. Example, live in New York , buy in Connecticut or live Texas and buy in Colorado. Pros and Cons?
I think the answer to your question depends on your investing criteria. What are you looking for in an investment and can that be found in the state that you live in?
Is your criteria being able to find a cash-flowing properties? Is your criteria to invest in a city that is expected to achieve double digit population increases? Are you bulling on a certain sector(Technology, Marijuana) and you want to invest in cities that have a high concentration of those jobs?
If these are any of your criterias and you can't find it in your state - then you probably need to look outside of your state.
Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
There are a lot of threads that debate this. Some people will scream saying investing out-of-state is a horrible idea, and some people do it all the time and are fine with it. I live in California and my closest properties are in GA. It can certainly be done, and with any investing strategy, you just need to learn the ins and outs and risks (and their mitigations) in order for it to work.