Multiple HELOC’s Take-Outs

5 Replies

Let me ask this; For instance I own a home worth $300,000, and over a couple of years I pay down on loan and own $150,000 in equity, or 50%($150,000) let’s say I want to cash-out-refinance, and get like 80% of that $150,000 cash sum loan, now, let’s say if I use that towards another mortgage, will I really qualify for 3 loans at this point? The first I still owe $150,000, second I took out of $150,000, and now I buy a third home worth let’s say $400,000 and use the $150,000 I got from cashout-refinance, as a Down Payment for the one Im buying worth $400,000 would I really get the extra $250,000 for the 3rd Mortgage or no??? At this point I owe like $300,000 without that new I want to get of $250,000? Do investors do this? At this point assuming you have no other debt, and you have income that supports the debt, with rental income and W2 income? Is this legitimate? I mean would each loan be treated separately as in like, “can you pay for each loan?” Or will it be too much?

Depends on your income/expenses/rental income....DTI.
ALSO, you don’t get “80% of the equity” with an 80% heloc, you up to 80% of the value, less your 1st mtg. In your example, $90k.

House is worth 300k when appraised. 80% = 240k minus your 150k debt = 90k credit line to play with. I’ve heard of 90% lines however when you’re owner occupying. From what I’ve read it’s pretty costly to cash out refi. Depending on what you’re trying to do a HELOC might be beneficial! Best of luck

Oh so, my debt of 150k from first mortgage will be taken into consideration as debt? Even though, I want to treat it separately?

If thats the case, then me using the 90,000 as down payment wouldnt even work, because the lender will say no, because I owe 150,000 and the 90,000? So then its too much?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.