Where do the military members live at in Virginia?

15 Replies

Hi Everyone! 

I've been doing my research and it seems like I am looking in all the wrong areas. I am looking to see where members tend to live at that are stationed in Ft. Belvoir and Quantico Marine Corps base. I have noticed Stafford comes up, but is there a mid way point for both military bases here in Virginia? 

Thanks everyone! 

David W. 

The answer us really all over.  I am not aware of a concentration of military but they like living iff route one which stretches from Fredericksburg to Alexandria and paases both bases.

Amahl Miller, Real Estate Agent in Virginia (#0225226578)

I have two rentals in North Stafford.   One is rented to a marine that works in Quantico.   His commute is about 15 minutes.   The other works at Belvoir.  She routinely commutes an hour or more.  I think you'll find the highest concentration of military around the 95 corridor between Fredericksburg and Alexandria but skewed more heavily between Stafford and Woodbridge.   Woodbridge has the bonus of being a super easy Pentagon commute with the slug lines that form near PW pkwy commuter lot.  Stafford appeals to those looking for something a little less urban.  Cash flow in Stafford is a little more attainable than it is in Woodbridge.  You can Cash flow in Stafford in B properties where in Woodbridge you'll probably need to go to a C.

I live in No. Stafford (near Quantico and the FBI and DEA academies) and there are military and government staff here as well as F'burg and Spotsylvania. I have actually met some ppl that commute to DC from Richmond and Virginia Beach! Fredericksburg is a draw b/c of Mary Washington University as well. 

703-791-9599

David, my last duty station in the Navy was at Walter Reed in Bethesda, MD. I lived in Ashburn, VA. It took me a solid 1 hour (maybe a little more or less depending on the time of day). I had a DoD friend of mine work at Ft. Belvoir and he lived in Ashburn as well. Just some food for thought that you can live out a little more west. (Sterling, Reston, Herndon).

Thank you @Cesar Rebolledo I've been looking pretty hard in Woodbridge and may have found one in Dale City. 4 beds and would probably house hack it to make it work out. Running numbers and from what I see, it looks right so I want to try my options. Reston is in my search as well. Looking pretty hard right now and by the way, were you a corpsman? 

@Patrick Shawn Faherty Kinda crazy to hear that people are driving from Richmond and Virginia Beach! However, I feel like the DMV is a strange area with people commuting in and out. Looking at Woodbridge at the moment. 

@David Wong I grew up in Woodbridge and there are a lot of military members. Also check out parts of Maryland along 95. In the DMV, it's not uncommon for people to have a 90+ minute work commute one way.

majority of them stay in Alexandria, Fairfax some in DC

@Jessica Frasier Why do they commute that type of distance? 

To me it seems odd to live so far just to get to work. I was looking at Dale City, VA and almost closed on one, but I essentially lost it with my "low" offer. Bummer.. Gotta keep looking. I've been searching and it seem like Multi - Family that is not commercial is practically non existent in VA.

@David Wong So, keep in mind that I grew up in the DMV my whole life so when you ask me why people commute that long, to me, it's really not that unusual. For example, my uncle lives in Woodbridge and commutes up to Maryland for work since his company moved up there. He wakes up at 4AM everyday and takes a van pool so they can use HOV lanes. It's about 1.5 hours one way. And he is able to come home earlier as well and try to miss out on the traffic. All of his neighbors wake up around the same time. 

Why do people do it? Because the DMV is expensive! The area is growing, there are tons of jobs, lots of opportunity. Amazon has narrowed down the cities for their second headquarters and look at three of the areas: Northern Virginia, Montgomery County, MD, and Washington DC. If Amazon comes here, I can't imagine how crazy the traffic will be. We have van pools, toll roads, and slug lines to get people into the city. 

People live that far away because they don't have a choice. If you have a family of 4-5 and work in Fairfax, a lot of people have to live further out to afford a home big enough. Off the top of my head, I know dozen of people who live in West Virginia and commute to DC. I also know dozens of people who live in Culpepper and Fredericksburg and commute to McLean. I also once met someone who lived in Pennsylvania and commuted into DC everyday. He woke up at 3:30AM everyday. People in the DMV are motivated and hungry for career progression. Everything is fast-paced. 

Also, I have only seen a handful of small multi-families on the market in this area. They are not common in this area. I hope this helps!

@Jessica Frasier That information definitely helps! Looks like I'll make a purchase of a larger SFH instead of what I was planning previously. Thank you for your help!

Originally posted by @David Wong :

@Jessica Frasier Why do they commute that type of distance? 

To me it seems odd to live so far just to get to work. I was looking at Dale City, VA and almost closed on one, but I essentially lost it with my "low" offer. Bummer.. Gotta keep looking. I've been searching and it seem like Multi - Family that is not commercial is practically non existent in VA.

Yes, I think you will find very few MFHs in that area, though there are some. I hope you land what you are looking for. I'm looking in less expensive markets for better ROI (and less out of pocket).

And @Jessica Frasier is spot on. I have lived here on and off since the 90s and my commute is 50-75 minutes each way. Pretty much the norm for most here. 

703-791-9599

Do we have any networking events in the near future in Virginia? I noticed that some seem to be selling a guru course and for some odd reason that does not interest me. 

@David Wong The C'Vill Investors Meet Up is the second Tuesday of the month at the Omni Hotel in Charlottesville. I would also say to NOT fear the GURU meet ups. Only reason I say that is that you can still walk away with good contacts and some nuggets of information... Just keep your wallet at home!!

@David Wong How are you David? I currently live in the area and have experience with traveling to Belvoir and Quantico. Having lived in Woodbridge & Dale City, i would say that this area is a great midway point for both bases. Without traffic you can reach either base in about 15-20mins.

There is also a local meetup on the last wed of the month in Woodbridge. Great group of people with tons of knowledge. Check out the thread here on BP.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/53...

Good luck and wish you nothing but the best on your real estate goals. Maybe i'll see you at a meetup.

-Lou

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.