San Antonio SFH Buy and Hold: 78244

6 Replies

Hi All, 

Anyone have experience investing in this zip code? Looking into a buy and hold, SFH in that area, wanted to see if any one has any experience with the area and if so any general thoughts.

Thanks!

Patrick

I retyped this several times to be nice. The area can be rather rough. Prices have gone up over the years. Rents are higher than several years ago. There are better parts of 78244, but do you really want to be that close to the "hood"?? Did I mention there are parts of the zip code that are rather rough??

I am going to have to give this area two thumbs down.

@Patrick Ng it depends on your goals. If you are looking for a $40,000 rental property, this is a good place to look. Lots of shoes on the power lines though, for what it is worth.

Jason Hirko

I currently hold two properties on the very, very fringes of 78244. 'Fringes' as in, right across the street is a different zip. I've got good tenants in above average rental ARV type homes and they have performed well. The exit strategy is to sell retail and it won't be a problem.

@Rick Pozos

@Jason Hirko

@Andrew M.

Thank you all for your insight . What other areas do you invest in? I’ve been hearing the east side of town is undergoing a lot of investment and has potential for a revitalization. Also heard the same for far west(78253 area). What are your thoughts?

Also any recommendations on property management in the area? 

@Jason Hirko where are you finding 40K properties? All I could find in that area are 60-90k

@Patrick Ng www.hudhomestore.com (sometimes) and wholesalers usually have good luck over there. 

Jason Hirko

We are looking to purchase our first buy and hold, we are both professionals with little cc debt, no loans, she has a high 600's and I have a 750 credit score, we can put down 20 % if need be on a property but are really looking for maybe 10 to 15% down and the remainder of the money toward rehab. Since we are not married, it has caused a tougher obstacle, the lender is now saying we have to use the lower score of the two. Does anybody have any advice? Should it be this difficult in our situation?

David Rodriguez

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.