Critique my Door Knocking strategy

2 Replies

I have given up with mailings, and I am spending less and less time cold calling because most numbers I find for decision makers are not correct. 

So instead I have been door knocking. I only door knock expired or cancelled listings or some other off market property where there may be a distressed homeowner. I don't go after short sales. I am only looking for people who have debt free property they usually inherited. 

After I find one, I double and triple check who the decision makers are so I am not wasting my trip. I usually do this by sifting through the Registry of Deeds, probate court files or assessor records. Once I know for who they are I figure out where they live, write up an offer with proof of funds attached, and a check for the full amount I am willing to offer paper clipped to the front of the package. 

I usually try to present these offers on weekends. Before I go out I make sure I am well dressed but not over the top. If they are home and answer the door I usually say something like this: " Hi my name is Rich. I know this is a little unconventional, however I wanted to present you a bona fide offer for the property you own on (                   ) street.  "

So far this has not landed me any deals. It has sparked dialogue with decisions makers and allowed me to hand out my business card. 

I am starting to wonder if this approach is too forward and really not a good idea, especially in the world we now live?

Anyone else out there approach decision makers in this fashion? Is this a good tactic or should I just spend money on google ads?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Rich,

It is very interesting to hear your approach. Thank you for sharing. I am curious as to how long you’ve been at the door knocking?

As with most approaches to reeling in clients or properties there is no “best” way (IMO). I’d like to think that the personal aspect of showing up on someone’s door would have a greater influence in their mind than, say, a mailer or phone call.

Door knocking has by far yielded me more meaningful interactions than any other approach. Now it’s just converting those into $$$.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

@Will Biestek In the past my door knocking was aimed at getting listings.  However now that I am more of an investor seeking to buy property, my hope is they see this as an earnest gesture. I have only been hand delivering offers for a couple months now. And like I said earlier I only to door knock very specific people. 

When I was door knocking for listings I would door knock entire neighborhoods where there had been a recent sale and hand out my business card letting everyone know a home had sold near by and for home much. This got me a handful of listings in the past. I tried to appear as the expert in the area and answer any questions they had about the property. This is a very cold approach as you don't know who you are door knocking and can be very time consuming.

Whereas my new approach I know almost everything about the person I am about to meet behind the door, and hope my presence will get them interested in selling.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.