• Broker / Investor
  • Tewksbury, MA
Votes |
Critique my Door Knocking strategy

Rich Hupper
  • Broker / Investor
  • Tewksbury, MA
Posted Feb 21 2018, 17:55

I have given up with mailings, and I am spending less and less time cold calling because most numbers I find for decision makers are not correct. 

So instead I have been door knocking. I only door knock expired or cancelled listings or some other off market property where there may be a distressed homeowner. I don't go after short sales. I am only looking for people who have debt free property they usually inherited. 

After I find one, I double and triple check who the decision makers are so I am not wasting my trip. I usually do this by sifting through the Registry of Deeds, probate court files or assessor records. Once I know for who they are I figure out where they live, write up an offer with proof of funds attached, and a check for the full amount I am willing to offer paper clipped to the front of the package. 

I usually try to present these offers on weekends. Before I go out I make sure I am well dressed but not over the top. If they are home and answer the door I usually say something like this: " Hi my name is Rich. I know this is a little unconventional, however I wanted to present you a bona fide offer for the property you own on (                   ) street.  "

So far this has not landed me any deals. It has sparked dialogue with decisions makers and allowed me to hand out my business card. 

I am starting to wonder if this approach is too forward and really not a good idea, especially in the world we now live?

Anyone else out there approach decision makers in this fashion? Is this a good tactic or should I just spend money on google ads?

Thanks for sharing.

Loading replies...