Where to start investing?

4 Replies

I live in a rural area and right now the market is hot.  I became a realtor almost a year ago to go along with my auction business.  My goal is to eventually own some rental properties.  I am absorbing and learning everything I can.  Each part of the industry is fascinating. I have trouble on figuring out what I should focus on with 50k to start investing.  Single family for appreciation, single family for a rental, duplex, fix and flip.....Where to begin the journey?  Thank you

Hey Wes, welcome to BP!

I'd start off with a multi-family rental property. You'll have all your expenses under 1 roof and you'll have multiple tenants paying off your mortgage. With single-family rental property, you'll have to rely on just 1 source of income. 

As a realtor, you can use MLS access to get to deals as soon as they hit the market or even look for off-market leads.

I'm not sure what your living situation is like but you also have the option of house-hacking a multi-family property. This will allow you to get your investing career started with a low down payment, lower your current living expenses (or live for free!), gain property management experience AND gain acquisition experience!

Best of luck to you!

-Abel

Hello Abel,  I appreciate your reply. Multi-family seems to be the direction I am heading.  Learning all the math behind the deal makes me believe I need at least 4 doors if not 6 to make the payments and pocket some cash.

Thanks,

Wes

Thanks for the vote!

@Wes Hudson   Wherever you want to invest for the long term, start there today.  

If you want to have 300 SFH rentals - buy a house and rent it.

If you want to flip 10 houses a month - start flipping houses.

If you want to own apartments - buy multifamily.

I think it is most important to pick a focus and then master the niche/vertical.  Having an expertise will put you in a position for long term success.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.