Contract for deed needs my social for taxes

2 Replies

Hi all. We sold a house on a contract for deed. Now their tax person needs our social security numbers for tax reasons. I would rather not have my social out there on every tax form of every person I sell to on a contract for deed. I realize now that maybe I should've set up an LLC, but what do you advise? Do I have to provide it? Is there a way around it?
Thanks!

Originally posted by @Jennifer Rysdam :

Hi all. We sold a house on a contract for deed. Now their tax person needs our social security numbers for tax reasons. I would rather not have my social out there on every tax form of every person I sell to on a contract for deed. I realize now that maybe I should've set up an LLC, but what do you advise? Do I have to provide it? Is there a way around it?
Thanks!

Normally, yes. But the way around it is to give the buyer the 1098 with your SSN cut out (if you simply use a pen to black it out, a good scanner will still see the underlying number) so cut out your SSN and then they can use the form by putting their SSN in for tax purposes. I'm not sure why they would need your SSN other than that. you might ask.

Do they really pay enough interest to itemize? If the buyers are married and not close to $12k per yr it's a moot point anyway.

I use a note servicing bank for all my contracts. The servicer handles the 1098s and amortization schedule for a few bucks a month. They also hold all the original ppwk.

I couldn't imagine asking  my sellers for their social!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here