• Rental Property Investor
  • Friendswood, TX
Votes |
Wire Fraud Warning On Real Estate Deals

Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Friendswood, TX
Posted Mar 2 2018, 22:04

I know its posted as a sticky on this forum but just got hit with this one today!  Not on a mobile home park but a residential property we just opened escrow on.  

Its unreal how legitimate it all looks so verify wire instructions with your title company via phone (and make sure its the title company on the phone !) 

Though we don't have a closing for a couple weeks, i got instructions today that said send XXXXXX  .  My first thought was weird.... someone dropped the ball and wants the wire real early but it was all like a normal email ....    

Then i saw the amount.  It was sale price minus EM .  Then it clicked since there were no prorations factored in or settlement statement.    The domain email was from the title company, all the info as if it were from the title company, wire sheet doctored up that way.  

Even later in the day another one following up.... 

I talked with the title Co and they have even had it where the people start with the calls trying to build up the story. 

Be careful out there guys.  I know I had seen this warning on BP but just a reminder here to make sure you verify verify verify!

Loading replies...