What exactly is a Portfolio?

2 Replies

I've been investing in Real Estate for about eight years. I started with one home during the collapse while I was in the service. When I got out I started expanding my rental base one at a time. I now have 5 properties. I know the term "Portfolio" is a group of properties (or any other type of investments), but is there a specific definition? How does one create a portfolio. 

Basically what I'm asking is this: Do I sell all my properties in one LLC, making it one transaction, or do I sell/buy several deeds in one closing/multiple closings? If I combine three into one LLC's sale, how do we report sales prices to each property? How will it affect the values of my real estate two blocks down?

@Sean Tabor - You have a portfolio, it is just a group of properties.

As far as selling, you can sell all of them at once even if they have different LLC's - as each one has it's own title it is no different than selling them off individually. It would just be 5 individual contracts all set to close the same day because each has their own deed.

Brie Schmidt, Real Estate Agent in Wisconsin (#57846-90) and Illinois (#471.018287)

@Sean Tabor Unless you happen to own the entire block or entire set of similar properties in your area, I would not worry about one sale affecting another property two blocks down. This assumes you are in an area where there is an active real estate market. If you're in a staid market you might want to consider selling your package in one-go and investing the proceeds in a growing market.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.