Anyone familiar with Macomb IL??

3 Replies

Hi BP: Is anyone familiar with Macomb IL? This is where Western Illinois is located. Have the opportunity to purchase 3 properties from a friends parents and I am trying to learn more about the city and find a property manager. I will be calling agents there but would like to get some advice from anyone that knows the area and can discuss it regarding long term investments. I read and hear some good and bad things about the state in general and just want to make I am analyzing correctly and asking the right questions. I did order David Greene’s book today about investing out of state but wanted to go ahead and start gathering info now! Thanks Kelly

I’m not a negative person but.... enrollment at WIU is way down the university recently demolished one large dorm tower. I would imagine it’s a buyers market don’t over pay a friends parent just because it’s a friend.

Hi @Kelly Kormos

I went to school at western about 5 years ago. I'm only familiar with it from that regard. However, I have been back a few times. I know enrollment is down almost 20% from 10 years ago, so be careful with that. They built a few new complexes in the 2000-2010 timeframe. When I started there, they were full. My understanding is those places are under 90% occupied now. I think that is partially because of Illinois being a mess, but Macomb also doesn't need have a ton of job prospects for people to work during school. And I know some bigger places closed while I was there. I would just trend lightly and really watch that admission level if you do decide to jump in.

@Eric Hardt and @Rich Nordstrom that is what I have been hearing- the school is not doing well.  I saw there was a hospital there but without other employment opportunities I worry about the future of being able to find tenants.  They are wanting to move out of the area so they really want to get rid of the properties so I am sure we could work something out beneficial financially for everyone if I think worth paying anything to be in the area.  These opportunities don’t always present themselves especially across the country so just want to make sure I do the best due diligence I can...thank you both for your input.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.