Refinancing Discussion with Lenders

3 Replies

Hello BP Family!

I have been researching and getting really excited about the BRRRR strategy, it seems to be the best way to build a portfolio in a scalable and safe way (having done due diligence of course). Before I buy a property, I want to take actionable steps now to set myself up for success, including researching lenders and knowing who I will be working with and their refinancing terms.

When looking for new lenders, how do you approach them to find this information out? 

Do you tell them what you are planning and why you want to refinance? 

Or do you keep things simple and just ask about cash out refinance terms? 

Thank you all for any insight or information! Discussing terms with banks is something new and I would love to start the conversation out the right way. 

@Eric Davenport All you have to do is ask. The lender isn't doing you a favor by refinancing a property. They will only do it if you actually have equity in a deal. 

Just be upfront and ask. By the time you will refi you property the terms would've changed anyways. 

Yes, just go into smaller, local banks in person and have a quick chat with them. If your properties are/will be owned by a LLC, be sure to ask the bank if they loan to business entities.

@Omar Khan  @Nicole A. thank you for answering! Other than finding out about what percentage they refinance, the terms (fixed or variable rate, amortization), seasoning period, what other info would you suggest I find out?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.