Best way to use $100K on additional properties

3 Replies

Hey guys, someone told me to check out Bigger Pockets when I asked this question elsewhere, so I'll give it a whirl by seeing if anyone here has any opinions about this.  I'm a full time landlord now with three properties, and I've managed to accumulate $100K through short term rentals, long term tenants, and a bit of cryptocurrency on the side.  It's not hard to find a duplex here for $80K.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the best use of this money to step up my real estate game and buy more properties?

I figure buying a house with cash would give me some negotiating power and maybe I could talk them down $5 or $10K.  Then I could cash out refi and buy another.

Alternatively, I could just use it for three downpayments and get three more houses.

Alternatively, I could just hold onto it and see if the market takes a hit in the next year or so, then be glad I waited for the right time to buy.  

Anyone have any thoughts?

Assuming additional reserves set aside to maintain your current properties, I'd probably try to buy 3 SFRs or one larger MF.  

Wait to see what happens with rates and the housing market , if it tanks then may be a buying opportunity.  If it doesn't then you go ahead and buy.  I'd rather be a little late than speculate on how the market will react to all of these changes .

Thanks guys.  So you don't think the method of financing matters?  Doesn't matter if I just get three conventional mortgages or attempt to buy in cash?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.