multi- family units not on the MLS

8 Replies

Hello, has anyone had any successful out-of- the- box ways to find multi-family units in Westchester OUTSIDE the MLS? I want to find a deal for under 300K and everything on the MLS feels futile and ultra competitive. Any suggestions on how to get creative are welcome!

@Joanna Golden Drive for dollars, call local property managers, do mailings, etc. Who knows, maybe you’ll stumble across someone who doesn’t know they could get more listing with a realtor 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi Joanna,

If you are looking for investment in Yonkers I have a 2 family off the mls that fits your criteria.  

Hi Joanna, I've actually found a few by direct messaging landlords who are self-listing their rentals on the Facebook Marketplace. Good Luck!

@Joanna Golden . There are plenty of ways to find off-market deals. what applies to other markets might apply to yours as well.  You could friend some wholesalers in the target area, you could find owners via the county website, you could use direct mail, you could drive for dollar, ... etc. There are a few blogs /podcasts that give a few ideas. 

Good Luck !!!

My barber gave me some great leads on commercial multi family and mixed retail properties in our town. 

I also found what appears to be at least one additional layer of commercial MLS. It would appear that the regular MLS, the one that goes to all the realtors, those deals are easily found and crowded. This other layer has listings of larger-50 plus units- but also 20 unit buildings, there are many non-residential listings in this layer-store fronts etc. I am still digging into that and how they are segregated-but there they are. Many are not for me-I am looking at residential buildings in the 10-30 unit size and have found some on this other MLS. So in a round about way I am saying to keep digging!

Door Knock, Cold-Call, Direct to seller mailers, etc... You have to prospect and market.

Outside the box? I'd like to see you ply your pleasant inquisitive self and use your classy style personality. Partner up with someone already established in real estate working a system that made them financially independent.

Creative? Read through this link: to go in or not to go in, that is the sheriff's auction question. The link describes how a good brick and hardwood quad went for 26k on a beautiful C street in Dayton, OH. That was WAY HIGHER than I thought it would go for. Lol.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/540284-to-go-in-or-not-to-go-in-that-is-the-sheriffs-auction-question

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.