Cleveland area homes with large yards

4 Replies

Hi all! I'm wondering if any of my fellow Clevelanders, or investors in Cleveland own any properties with large yards? I'm talking in the 2 acre range. North Royalton and Strongsville areas to give a better idea. If you can make the numbers work, are they good as rentals? How does the yard maintenance work? Who is responsible for the cutting all that grass?

I know most invest much closer to the city, with much less land, but can this work? I am asking because I have a possible deal coming up soon, and I can't find much talk of this on the forums. 

I'm interested in hearing your opinion on this as well, if you can @James Wise

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Denny McKown :

Hi all! I'm wondering if any of my fellow Clevelanders, or investors in Cleveland own any properties with large yards? I'm talking in the 2 acre range. North Royalton and Strongsville areas to give a better idea. If you can make the numbers work, are they good as rentals? How does the yard maintenance work? Who is responsible for the cutting all that grass?

I know most invest much closer to the city, with much less land, but can this work? I am asking because I have a possible deal coming up soon, and I can't find much talk of this on the forums. 

Thanks!

If it's a single family home the tenants can handle the grass, no issue.

High end neighborhoods like Strongsville & N Royalton are great. Talk about exit strategy.  You can rent them for awhile then renovate to sell for top dollar to an owner occupant when the market is at a peak.

@James Wise Thanks James! I appreciate the insight from a perspective I wasn’t considering.

@James Wise Thanks James! I appreciate the insight from a perspective I wasn’t considering.

Buying quality is always the way to go.

Thanks!

Hi Denny - I know your post is getting older by the day, but since I invest in the areas you mentioned I wanted to chime in. I own 2 SFH in North Royalton and 1 in Strongsville. Two of them are about 1 acre and I do no maintenance on the property. The nice thing about renting in these areas is that the tenants I secure don't bat an eye at buying a lawnmower. Well, one of them didn't want to so he pays someone to cut his grass. When I turn a property I do spend a few hundred getting the yards into order so they show well. Other than that it's been a non-issue for me.

That said, while my "A" neighborhood SFHs are appreciating nicely, they're killing me in the capital expense area. For this reason I'm actually looking into multi-family now (4+ units).

Hope this helps!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here