HUD homes activating utilities for inspection or apprasials

4 Replies

I'm curious to hear other people's experience getting utilities activated for inspections or appraisals on HUD homes while under contract. Any tips or tricks? Your experiences?

The process requires some knowledge from your agent. Do they have experience selling HUD homes?

First- The PCR and Disclosure form will indicate whether it is permissible to turn on the utilites. If there are any known issues(even as simple as a bad $7 shutoff valve) you will not be permitted to turn on utilities. If you are getting a loan, this could be an issue so contact your lender asap for a possible work around. This issue alone kills many HUD deals

Your agent must fill out the request form and deliver it to the FSM with the required $$$ to de-winterize.  Keep in mind if approved, you will only be able to turn on once for a max 72 hours so coordinate the appraiser if applicable

You bare all the costs of turn on and turn off costs with the utility companies. If they require an inspection, keep in mind you will not be able to fix any issues as it is a federal crime to alter a HUD home in any way

So in summary, it can be a very difficult and costly process to activate utilities and in many cases not possible

512-293-3885

@Michael Noto yes I need utilities turned on for the appraisal.  I've asked lender multiple times if there is any way to avoid it and they answer is a consistent NO.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.