structure investment opportuntiy

3 Replies

I would like advice on what be the best way to get this done. I have a very good friend who lives in a different state. He is willing to put up the money to purchase and fix up property. He wants 6.5% on his money which will come from the profits and we split the remaining 50/50. What would be the best way to structure the arrangement? I have a RE brokers license here in Florida. So I don't know if that helps or hinders me. I have a some cash for the deal.

What about either interest or split the profits but not both? Just a thought. If you are bringing some of the money and doing the work, it seems like you are getting a little less than your share. And you are the broker. If it is a way to get a foot in the door then I am all for it but maybe moving forward you can tweak the terms when you have a track record to prove yourself. Just my two cents.
I have even heard of people giving a straight return of a percentage (say 12 percent) but move to a 50 percent split if more profitable for the lender.
I have only borrowed money on deals like this (never structured a split of profits) but the note was drafted by a lawyer at my title company. It was pretty easy on my part. Not sure if that helps.

Good luck,
Will

Will Pritchett

So if I do a 50/50 split do I do it as a partnership or some kind of joint venture? What kind of entity is best? I have experience doing flips. Just out of the business for 7 years. 

Wish I could help you with that.  I'm sure someone will read this who has done one and will chime in. 

Will Pritchett

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
      • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
      • Learn how to get started with or without money,
      • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
      • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.