Baby boomer elephant in the room

1 Reply

Anyone concerned about the baby boomers? Will there be excess supply of houses in the years to come after the baby boomers are no longer living in single family housing? Baby boomers are aged 54-72 currently and make up 20% of the population.

Im not... Baby Boomers typically live in the higher end homes. I invest in the low end. millennials don't care about slowly building the networth required to qualify for that type of house. They will likely keep renting the lower cost homes and multi-units. I rent to several millennials and very few of them care at all about buying. They are happy to not have to pay to take care of a house and don't see the rent as a huge waste. I do not rent to any boomers, cannot think of any that have ever applied. 

There are not enough generation X'rs like me to matter. It seems my generation is happy to buy up everything the boomers sale. I guess some areas could be effect but none that I am in. 

More to the point... you cannot realistically project home values 20yrs out. In 20 yrs my homes will have paid for them selves several times over. If there worth nothing, Im out nothing... So why worry.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.