Atlanta market opportunities

9 Replies

My family and I are considering a move to somewhere in the west Atlanta metro this summer. We are visiting on Tuesday and Wednesday, 3/21 & 3/22, to look at areas that may interest us.

Does anyone here work the market? Can good opportunities for rehab and flip or rentals still be found?

I was a licensed general contractor and business owner that built custom homes and did large remodel projects from 2004-2010. I currently hold a realtors license in another state but will get it in GA, if we move there. I may get my gc licenses again.

Thank you all,

@Mike Mitchell

If you have money or access to it, the place to be is Buckhead. It is like Beverly Hills in terms of housing. I bought a condo there and right across the street they are putting up townhomes beginning in the $900's. That is the only part of Atlanta I know. Good luck to you and your family.

410-905-6760

We are looking to move OTP as I’ll need some land. As for investment properties, where ever I can find a good deal.  Are there any other hot areas besides Buckhead? I’m sure many investors work that area. Thank you for the info!

@ Mike Mitchell.

Alpharetta, Roswell areas are also pretty hot. Sold my 1st home a few months ago with pretty decent margins.

@Mike Mitchell Hot areas exist all over metro Atlanta. It just depends on your specific buying criteria to determine what will work best for you. We buy and sell ITP and OTP and the prices, condition of properties, and margins vary but the opportunities are plentiful. 

I have lived here all my life 43 years so far. Arkansas and GA are different Universes.

Only about Texas is outpacing us for growth right now. We are one of the top investment states in the country for local,out of state, and foreign investors.

GA is slated to grow by about another 5 million people or so over the next decade. 

I do commercial real estate only. Good luck finding a residential deal. They are out there in good areas but very rare these days. There are literally tens of thousands of investors or more looking for the same thing. Atlanta MSA metro is about 27 plus counties now. The prices being paid for houses now i would not touch with a ten foot pole. I watched House Hunters the other day and dumps in Atlanta in so called (revitalized areas) are being sold for 379,000. You could tell the rehab was minimal yet people are buying this crap. Saw this back in 2007 before the last downturn. Everyone thought bull market would go forever and swore after last downturn they would never do it again. The general public (herds) have a short term memory! lol

I guess that is why the majority of the population lives hand to mouth and are basically broke. They cannot stop making bad decisions with impulse control.

I am not mentioning anyone specific in this post just talking in generalities and what I saw last down turn.

Mike, you may find people as interested in your potential construction contributions  as anything else.  We certainly would be.  We're new investors, just moved to Atlanta, and are looking to flip in the North Atlanta.  We need a good contractor for small to medium size remodels.  Are you available, interested?

Bernie

Bernie,

Thank you for reaching out. My wife, kids and I spent a few days in north Atlanta this past week. We drove around for two days and really enjoyed our time. My wife graduates grad school in two months and by then, we plan to make a decision either to move there or FL. I would be very interested in meeting with you if we end up in Atlanta. Let’s stay in touch. 

Mike,

I agree, let's stay in touch.  And whether you come here or to Florida, congratulations on your big decision, and on your wife's graduation.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.