Where do I start when new to real estate?

2 Replies

Hi all!

Mike Garry here, recently discharged from the military and going to college in Seattle (North gate area).  I am eager to get into the real estate business and learn as much as I can.  I am studying real estate during my free time but would love to get some hands on experience especially meeting people in the industry! I am willing to work my *** off and work for free.  Learning is my number 1 priority.  
Some of my goals: I would like to buy and hold with the focus on getting as much cash flow as possible

The Seattle market is a little expensive so I am willing to venture off into other areas! 

I am not limiting myself to Washington, if there are good deals in other market areas I am willing to check those out!

I want to learn how to truly analyze a deal and consider all factors, especially when the market is as hot as it is right now. 

Where do I start? Wholesaling? Become a real estate agent? 

Thanks a lot! 

@Michael Garry - I would attend local REIA events, network with investors, and offer to work for free to shadow them.

@Michael Garry Thank you for your service! Buy/hold and cashflow is what you said your end goal is. With your VA entitlement you can purchase a 1-4 unit property with 0% down, but you have to live in one of the units as your primary residence.

My personal opinion is to finish your schooling and get a good W-2 job. That way you can use your income immediately towards qualifying for a purchase. Start to research house hacking, listen to podcasts, read the forums, and network with local investors. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.