Need some input on Multifamily investment with section 8

1 Reply

Good Morning PB.. Ive been doing research on section 8 rentals and was wondering if anyone has had success with this route and the down falls of it... Any advice is welcomed!

I have just taken my first section 8 tenant this past month. My small time property manager has dealt with the local housing authority and spoke highly of the program.

The inspection failed first time because of a vent that wasn’t covered, a couple of non-grounded outlets, and some chipped paint. Next inspection everything passed. Both inspections happened w/in a week (though I’m sure timing is highly area dependent).

I have a property manager who took care of everything so all of this was very seamless to me.

Total rent is $600 for this unit. Section 8 is paying ~$450 and tenant covers ~$150.

I was reading another post from someone regarding section 8 and he was saying a tenant is a tenant. A section 8 tenant isn’t going to take better or worse care than a tenant with a similar income level that doesn’t have section 8 subsidy.

I know the tenants can lose their subsidy if they don’t pay their portion. Around here the waiting list is over a year I believe. Logically, I can’t imagine a tenant not paying or taking care of their unit... but we all know tenants aren’t always logical.

I think I’ll sit on this building a few more months and see how it goes, but I’m already thinking about getting more buildings and getting them inspected for section 8.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.