Probates, how do I find the heirs??

5 Replies

Hi BP, Someone in my neighborhood recently died, I heard that her kids want to sell the house, but I don’t know how to get in touch with them, how to find them to let them know I’m interested in buying the property. I’m hoping someone here would be able to help me. Thank you!

@Peter Milic there is probably better and more professional ways, but if I wanted the property really bad I would search on Facebook. Find who was close to the lady and ask them who her kids are and how you can contact them. Or leave a letter in the mail box. I would give it some time first. 

@RyanDavis thank you for your fast response.
I’ve never done this before and I do feel little uncomfortable reaching out to the family.
But I’m only doing it because I know that they are ready to sell, the lady died in December, they already did some cleanup and the village inspection, so they are definitely ready it seems

I would send a letter to the estate of “John Smith” at that address and hope the family put in a forward for the deceased with USPS. If not it will come back to you. If that happens, I then would then stick the letter between the doors.

@Peter Milic Find out where probates are filed in your city. Sometimes at the county superior court. Go to the probate court building and pull the file.  Ask to see the file for the estate of:....., the relatives will be listed in the file.

@Peter Milic

As an agent consider this as "farming". Pull the death certificate and see who filled it out. (Neighbor, friend, relative, etc.,)

Whomever filled it out will be your first point of contact.

Good luck..

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here