U.S. Home Flipping Increases to 11-Year High

7 Replies

@Mike M.   Maybe, maybe not!

First of all after "Location, Location, Location", I thing the second most repeated phrase is "All real estate is local."  Some areas are hot, some areas are cold, and some in between.  So maybe in some areas there might be too many buyers, as if that's a problem.

Personally I've bought and sold over 900 properties and I don't care if the market is hot, cold or in between, because I'm always a buyer.  Bought a house a few weeks ago!  I bought a house when the bank interest rate (not hard money) was 15% fixed for 30 years; and I also got a mortgage for 2.75% interest fixed.  Obviously not in the same year.  I can't control whether its a hot market or not, so I just continue.  When the market is hot, the inventory is low and interest rates are low, it just means, if I'm selling its great, and if I'm buying I just have to loo harder.

Some thoughts on the article.

At 1%, that's not a huge increase over 2016, so I don't think there's a whole lot of additional interest from new investors.

I definitely feel the competition in the Los Angeles market from retail buyers paying above improved value for fixers due to lack of any inventory.

Interesting to see Memphis 38116 as top flip spot.  Maybe someone will take on Graceland and get the shag carpet off the ceiling.

@Kuba F.   good point 1% doesn't seem like much, but there is much lower inventory, in my town the inventory for sale is about 75% off levels of a few years ago;  which means more people/investors chasing fewer properties.

Los Anglels Ca Is getting a little expensive and competitive. I bought in Tn last year and am looking at Ohio right now for some units. Any ideas of some good markets for buy and hold or buy and fix or flip?

Originally posted by @Mike M. :
Originally posted by @David Krulac:
U.S. Home Flipping Increases to 11-Year High in 2017 With More Than 200,000 Homes Flipped for Second Straight Year

https://www.attomdata.com/news/home-flipping/2017-...

That means "since everybody is doing it" it's about time to get out. ;-)

Or...make money off these people who are (trying to) flipping houses. I guess that's what the 'gurus' are doing.

@Alex Daniel

I like central Pennsylvania, number 1 employer is state government with capital, and number 2 is Federal government, Cumberland County is the dastest growing county and has the largest inmigrataion in PA.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.