I need a special buy/sell contract

3 Replies

Hello everyone, I am looking a tax sale lot that is next to a house. I have already spoken with the person that owns the house and they want to buy the lot through me. I have done this before with success but this one is a little different. Before if the person backed out on me I could still sell the lot to someone else. The one I'm looking at now is situated to where I believe that only that person with the house next to it would want it. I do not believe they would back out on me but if they did I would probably be stuck with it. So I would like to come up with some kind of contract stating that I agree to sell to them and they agree to buy from me etc. However, if I was to do that I would need something in the contract for me to back out of the situation if I was not awarded the property. Has anyone done this before or know if a simple contract I could get written up with an out for me without saying, "I will sale this lot to you as long as I am able to purchase it first"? I wouldn't say it like that of course but don't want to give away that it's something they can go do themselves too. I am not sure how to word it to where I protect myself and also not give away that I do not actually own the lot yet. Thanks for reading and any thoughts would be most appreciated.

I am not an attorney but I would write something like

If event X happens then buyer and seller agree to Y

If  event X does not happen then contract is void and of no further effect

This might not be a valid contract as it depends on another factor happening which neither of you have control. I vaguely recall something about that was not a valid contract. 

Another way I might write it would be as an option.  You have the option of selling him the property at X price by Y date. If you exercise the option he is required to buy, but you are not required to exercise your option.

Maybe just walk them through it and charge a reasonable consultation fee?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here