Portland area real estate lawyer

3 Replies

Greetings!

I have been fortunate to have an opportunity to buy on off-the-market deal from a friend whom I trust in a win-win scenario. I am perfectly aware of the potential pit-falls of doing a large transaction with a friend but we have already agreed upon a price, which is contingent on keeping additional costs minimal, including no agents, an arrangement I am comfortable with. I do intend to have an inspection done and bring this back to the seller for conversation. 

I have never purchased property without an agent.  I've read a few different blogs on other sites about this but, honestly trust this website/community more than anywhere else.  Is there a separate thread anyone can point me to laying out the process? 

Thanks a ton!

Chris

Christopher, Do you have a sales agreement yet?  The first thing to do is draw up a written sales agreement. The sales agreement should set out all the terms and timelines.  And from there you just need to stick to the terms and timelines set up in the sales agreement.  Whatever title company you choose will take care of the title and escrow processes for you.  Are you paying cash or will you be getting financing?  If you are procuring a loan you will need to work through your lender's process.  Get a mutually agreed upon sales agreement in place, submit your sales agreement and earnest money to a title company, follow the timelines and terms of the sale agreement, work with your lender.  If you want a canned version of a sales agreement you can pick one up a Stevens Ness in Portland.  It is pretty basic.  If you want an attorney to draw up a sales agreement and you don't have one I've used Gary Kahn for various real estate business issues and he seems fair priced and very knowledgeable.  Good luck!  

Thank you for the advice, Lisa.  Most likely I'll need to seek some degree of financing.  I appreciate you laying out a bit of the process and for the lawyer recommendations.   We don't yet have a sales agreement (in final stages of casual negotiations) and then we can move on to getting things on paper. 

Thanks again!

Hi Chris, I would suggest you get EVERYTHING written down clearly on paper and both sides fully understand the terms and conditions, this is a must between friends or family members. You do not want to ruin a relationship because of some unclear agreements. PM me if you want a referral for a lawyer. Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here