Tiny Home / Land Assistance

5 Replies

A friend of mine is looking into building a tiny home somewhere in Sonoma County and/or Mendocino County (Petaluma, Cotati, West County, Fort Bragg, Westport) areas.   He has found that there are issues with putting a tiny home on a piece of land that doesn't already have a building on it.  Anyone in the BP world have experience with such a project who might have advice/guidance on this type of scenario? TIA

The tiny house movement is still being debated and is being handled in different ways depending what part of the county you're in. For the most part, the most common scenario is using them as an accessory dwelling - usually "under the radar". Buying land to place a 'tiny house' on is not currently accepted as far as I understand, but since I haven't heard anything new in a while I sent a message to my friend at the county permitting dept for an update. I'll let you know if I get new information from him. 

Likely his best option is to find land in the county zoning, outside of any city limits. Perhaps even with a dilapidated house, then adding the tiny home 'under the radar'.

We are making progress so there may be new info in favor. There have been some tiny house communities being proposed and expected to go through, so this may pave the way. Lastly, some cities are being quite lenient on allowing them as accessory dwellings for granny units and/or AirBnB, and though I realize this doesn't help your friend, it is promising for future acceptance. 

Bukka Levy, Real Estate Agent in CA (#CalBRE01404448)
(707) 762-1717

important to note that the regulations differ between unincorporated Sonoma county and within city limits.  

@Bukka Levy Thanks very much for the info.  I'll pass along your response and anything you may hear back from your guy. Much appreciated! 

@Ted Woolley Do you know anything more specific about the differences, by chance?  Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry I don’t. Learned a bit about the Regs discussing with sales person at Little House on the Trailer in Petaluma, but was a while ago.  Suggest looking them up.  Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.