Pre Foreclosures - where are you hiding

4 Replies

What's up BP!

I am curious to see if anyone has a good lead source for homes/people who are in the pre-foreclosure process. I stumbled across a website called RealtyTrac that looks like it has a list, but their membership is almost $2/day so I figured there has to be a more cost effective way to find these deals. I know that when a bank starts to file for foreclosure (at least in my state, Oklahoma) it is sent to the county for records. Is there a way to access a list of these pre-foreclosures at the county? The only way I could think of right now is from the Sheriff Sale list, but that would only give about 2-3 weeks to purchase the home before it sells at auction. If anyone has any insight into how you are finding pre-foreclosures, that would be awesome!

I can't really comment on how things work in OK, but in my county, you can access the preforeclosure records through the county assessor but it is not very user-friendly. As a Realtor, I can view these properties in a more user-friendly manner but that wouldn't help a normal person so I'd suggest seeing if you can speak with a Realtor in your area and see if they can access that kind of information for you. 

Most agents don't want to take the time to search out such properties for people who would waste their time, so be sure you can close on something and aren't just a tire-kicker.

@Bob Okenwa thanks for the input! I may just go down to the county assessor office and ask them directly if there is a way to view these properties. Great advice on the realtor side too! 

Zillow has a pre-foreclosure filter that you can use to find properties. That may be an easy first step. 

@Wendy Schultz I have used that before, but I am afraid of how accurate that filter actually is. Zillow is sometimes slow to update info on listing and sales compared to the MLS so I am afraid it might be the same on pre-foreclosures. Definitely a great suggestion and place start though, thank you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.