Accumulating Wealth to purchase an investment property

Accumulating Wealth to purchase an investment property

Virginia Beach, VA (Virginia Beach) · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote

I purchased my first home a little over a year ago in San Diego, CA. I am currently paying well over the mortgage but I have become increasingly interested in purchasing a second home as an investment property. My question/concern is what I should do with my money now to prepare/enable me to purchase a second home in the future. 

Should I continue to put more money into my current home than required, or should I do something else with this extra cash in order to allow it to accumulate and enable me to put money down on a second property? Any recommendations on investing this extra cash until I accumulate enough to put 20% down on a home?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
8y

Yeah, I'd stop putting money into your house. Put that extra money to work. And besides, appreciation in San Diego will probably serve you well. Why rush to pay off your house? 

One thing I've been doing to increase capital, and make more money than any bank is going to pay, is invest in out of state flips. You're in first position on the house with multiple exit options, it's a great deal IMO. Happy to share more details with you. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    If you want cash short term I believe that you should keep it liquid. Many will say put it in money markets, bettermint, etc. I think it's very valuable to just have money liquid in a high yield savings account. You always know you have it when an opportunity presents itself. But everyone has different ways they feel comfortable holding their money! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
    8y

    Yeah, I'd stop putting money into your house. Put that extra money to work. And besides, appreciation in San Diego will probably serve you well. Why rush to pay off your house? 

    One thing I've been doing to increase capital, and make more money than any bank is going to pay, is invest in out of state flips. You're in first position on the house with multiple exit options, it's a great deal IMO. Happy to share more details with you. 

  • Blue Point, NY · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 31 votes
    8y
    Jason Carter are you putting together the out of state flips on your own? Do you have a team you’ve put together? Any states or areas in particular?
  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
    8y

    Hey @Matt B.. I put together some in Birmingham AL. My business partner puts them together in Memphis and Cleveland. We have teams in each location. We start by building a team in each city. I'll DM you details. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
    8y

    @Matt B. I should mention I actually started by investing in my partner's flips and liked the model so much I began building a team of my own and we work together to get them rehabbed and sold. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Stop paying money into your current home. All money should go into saving for down payments. That’s what I did when I started.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jacob D.:

    I purchased my first home a little over a year ago in San Diego, CA. I am currently paying well over the mortgage but I have become increasingly interested in purchasing a second home as an investment property. My question/concern is what I should do with my money now to prepare/enable me to purchase a second home in the future. 

    Should I continue to put more money into my current home than required, or should I do something else with this extra cash in order to allow it to accumulate and enable me to put money down on a second property? Any recommendations on investing this extra cash until I accumulate enough to put 20% down on a home?

     Save it until you can afford the 2nd down payment. If your goal is a 2nd property no need to spend it on over improving the 1st property.

  • Virginia Beach, VA (Virginia Beach) · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Thank you everyone for the advice. I appreciate it. 

    @Jason Carter Could you DM mused with those details as well. I’m fairly interested in how you’re working that. Thanks. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.