Has anyone invested in post offices?

7 Replies

Hi, has anyone ever bought a post office before? 

A friend of mine introduced me to the idea and it's seems like something to look into. 

The USPS is a government entity that never wants to move and has a AAA credit rating. The rent may be a bit lower than market value, but the cash flow is going to be consistent. 

The leases could be either triple net or modified gross. Returns may be lower, but lower maintenance. 

This looks great on paper, but does anyone have experience actually buying them? They're as cheap as 100k and seems like a good introductory investment in a niche asset class. 

Not me personally, but I know a guy who owns most of the FBI buildings in the country. The only time he doesn't get paid is when there is a govt shutdown. 

But he's a very wealthy person and said its been a great investment. 

A friend actually bought a local post office and turned into a day care and tutoring center with play grounds. Her previous tenant got burned during the Great Recession, she signed a 10 year lease.

Originally posted by @Sam Shueh :

A friend actually bought a local post office and turned into a day care and tutoring center with play grounds. Her previous tenant got burned during the Great Recession, she signed a 10 year lease.

The post office shut down during the recession? Wow! I always thought government buildings were recession proof. Was your friend's building in a good location? The buildings I'm looking at buying are a little bit more rural, so I'm wondering what happens if the post office were to shut down operations there and I would be unable to rent it. 

Actually my family has been investing in post offices for 60 years.  Currently we own 60 post offices....most of which are small.   I am new to this forum and was interested to see if anyone on here had started talking about this.  I have a lot of info I could share.  Thanks