Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Surya Kumar
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
How to verify if encroachment is there and what to do about it?

Surya Kumar
  • Fremont, CA
Posted Jul 3 2018, 17:24

I am in the process of buying first property (Out of State) and was close to closing when I got en email from my lender(Bank of America) saying they could not approve my loan because of driveway encroachment. 

Your driveway encroaches on to the adjoining lot and does not meet policy for an acceptable driveway encroachment. Unfortunately-due to the location of the dwelling, and the detached garage being within 10 feet of the property line of the adjoining property. This causes the driveway to encroach. This would require for you to have exception approval for the Property which the Underwriter could not approve.

First of all, I am not sure if there is actual encroachment at all here. (It says garage is within 10 feet of the property line). I was not able to contact the lender at all after this email at all. So I contacted my agent and mentioned her about this. I got a reply from her saying there is nothing wrong with the title and she doesn't understand why the lender was saying like that. I could always get another lender but I am not sure if this is an actual problem or not. I got the copy of appraisal from the lender and nothing related to driveway encroachment is mentioned there and nothing is mentioned in the property disclosure as well. How do I verify that there is/is not a driveway encroachment? What documents do I need to ask from the agent/seller to make sure there is/is not encroachment? Any help on this would be really welcome. 

Note : The property is in Ohio if that matters

Loading replies...