• Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Having second thoughts about four plex under contract

Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Jul 18 2018, 18:38

King County, WA. 550K purchase price. Only comp available as well as brokers report shows one similar four unit selling for 50K less. Tenants seem decent but low end. Deal seems to cash flow less and less the more I look into it.

Rents(under market due to older but decent kitchens and bathrooms): $4,250 total.

Mortgage payments including insurance and taxes (earthquake insurance): $2,800 a month.

Reserves $800 a month.

Water/sewer/garbage: $500 a month proforma...

Law mowing: $200 a month. Just found out today the owner does this himself right now...

So basically $50 in the hole each month other than $500 a month principal pay down. UNLESS I remodel the kitchens and baths and charge higher rents. I might be able to get $1,500 a month then per unit. Maybe...that's what similar places with updated finishes go for. 2K a month cash flow in that scenario.

Also, I wasn't too pleased with the tenants. A couple copped attitudes about me wanting to look inside. Heck the listing agent had an attitude about it. I guess I'm supposed to enrich him and the seller buying a half a million dollar property without even looking inside.

Inspection panned out OK so far, but I won't have the full inspection report until tomorrow morning.

Bail while I'm still in the inspection period or move forward?

For what it's worth, 40 minutes even further south of the big city, similar properties in gang areas go for the same price and pencil out the same. Then again the only comp I could find for this went for less than this place.

I'm on the fence with this place...If I could get a 50K price reduction from inspection, I'd be more likely to go for it, but as it is, it seems like lower end tenants with attitude, no cash flow, and a lot of risk. Then again everything in my market is looking like that, so I will have to sit on the sidelines to add to the portfolio if I back out. Give me your thoughts please....

Loading replies...