Buyer Insisting on THIRD walk through

16 Replies

The buyers of our house are threatening to delay our closing time if they don't get to come in for a SECOND final walk through.
Buyers—first time home buyers. Conducted inspection one day. Sewer inspection another day. Insisted on coming in after a big storm a few weeks later to confirm no water damage (even though we sent photos). Then schedule their "FINAL walkthrough" two weeks prior to closing.

Sellers—agreed to make NO repairs after inspection, but agreed to pay $1,000 at closing to buyers for repairs to be made (on a $119,000 house that had just been fully renovated). 

This was a 60-day closing. NOW it's two business days before closing and they are threatening to delay closing to the afternoon unless they get to walk through again, because "the husband was out of town" on the first "final walkthrough." But no one forced them to do their final walk through then. We (the sellers) are SUPER busy with buying our other home and packing and don't have time to let them come in for the FIFTH time after they signed the PA.

Can they even DO this? They don't take possession until 24-hours after closing, so delaying the closing just delays their possession. I don't understand. It messes up our entire schedule with movers and flooring contractors if they delay our closing because we can't close on our next house until AFTER closing on our current house.

Hopefully they're earnest money was a realistic enough amount that if these demands are not part of the contract and they decide to cancel/break the contract you will get something reasonable.  I know it doesn't make up for all the wasted time, but it's better than nothing.

Good luck!

Even if they have no right (as per the contract) to do the walk through........ you'd likely spend more effort dealing w/ it vs just letting them do it.

Except I work from my home office, tomorrow is Friday and I have two days of work to do (since I'm taking Monday/Tuesday off for closing). They've already disrupted my work day FOUR times. And we'll be rushing to pack everything Saturday/Sunday (with two toddlers running around). They are SUPPOSED to close 9 am Monday. So, yes, it is very inconvenient. And it's a god damned $119K house. NOTHING has changed since they were last here (the last four times). SIGH. Like, is this serious? Either we blow the deal over a FIFTH entrance to the home or we just appease them? Is there no such thing as BUSINESS etiquette? They can seriously delay the closing over this?

Just curious...

has their inspection period not passed already?  Of course if it has, and they wanna back out, bye bye earnest deposit.

Aside from them being annoying, is it going to cost you anything for them to walk in there again?

Yea, as I stated, inspection period is far gone and they've already done TWO walk-throughs since then. It's going to cost me time I don't have.

Get over it, for your own benefit. They’re going to be there what, maybe an hour? Nothing says you have to hold their hand.
On the other hand sure, delay/kill this closing which will delay/kill Your purchase.

@Account Closed

And as you also stated, these are first time home buyers, and it's 119k.  They've likely seen one too many episodes of HGTV, fearing a cracked foundation they missed the first 12 walk through's. 

119k may seem like a small amount to you. If their combined income qualifies them for a 119k house it's likely a big purchase from their perspective.

Sounds like you're still occupying the place.  They may be concerned of any change in condition prior to closing.

Bottom line, this must be very frustrating for you especially considering you have a family to pack and move in a short period of time plus work.  Their realtor can accompany them through the walk through with the understanding not to bother you while you're in the office working.  If they don't buy, it'll be a greater hassle and expense for you to relist than to have them do a walk through.  After they have their moment you'll be 119k (minus costs) richer and you can talk crap about them later over a glass of wine.

I agree with Rodney. Just bite the bullet and realize that they are probably nervous about buying their first house and want to make sure they're not getting taken. There were so many things I didn't think to look at when I bought my first house that when I bought the next one I was a lot more vigilant. After buying several, I feel experienced but I still miss stuff even though we get an inspection every time. I've gotten burned twice now on broken sewage pipes. The first time I didn't know any better ($8k repair) and the last time I trusted the people we were buying the house from ($2k repair). Every house I buy from now on will have a camera inspection of the sewer lines before I buy it.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Yea, as I stated, inspection period is far gone and they've already done TWO walk-throughs since then. It's going to cost me time I don't have.

So let their realtor do the hand holding and you go about doing whatever it is that you do..... and be done w/ it.

Seeing as it's a 119k house, the ED probably not going to do a lot for you and the hassle of having to redo everything if they walk likely outweighs the hour or so they get to do a walk through. I'm sure work and life is busy... but I'm almost pretty confident you can find an hour to spare between now and close...

I'm confused how anyone thinks they have the ABILITY to just "walk away" at this point (after having done all the inspections and already doing two walk throughs). They have no reason to "walk" at this point. Everything is exactly as it was the day they signed the PA and we all signed the inspction addendum. I will sue to th fullest extent if they walk at this point and I'm wondering why no one takes that seriously? Why don't CONTRACTS matter??

some contracts have a fee that says if u dont close on said closing date, it XX amount per day u til you close. you could also just say u broke the contract, keep the EM and DD and relist it.

Most of my transactions have involved a walk through by the buyers on the morning of the closing or the day before, so I find this pretty normal.  Of course they are going way over the top with their  multiple walk-throughs.

In some cases the buyers want to make sure the sellers are pretty much packed so they will be getting possession at closing without a glitch.  I have had sellers delay my buyers by not having their stuff out even though contract said "possession at closing."  A classic was when the sellers were still packing several hours after closing and I was there with my buyer waiting and they had the nerve to ask if we minded if they took showers before driving off.  I feel your frustration, but I can see both sides of the issue.    

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

I'm confused how anyone thinks they have the ABILITY to just "walk away" at this point (after having done all the inspections and already doing two walk throughs). They have no reason to "walk" at this point. Everything is exactly as it was the day they signed the PA and we all signed the inspction addendum. I will sue to th fullest extent if they walk at this point and I'm wondering why no one takes that seriously? Why don't CONTRACTS matter??

Hold up... you have time to sue.... but you don't have time to let them do a walk through?  Once again, I think you need to double check the value of time here... 1hr of a walk through vs countless hours of legal action. Not to mention the ED is what a couple grand if that... probably won't do you much good and the house being sold is worth far more than that from a time stand point.

Honestly, if I was dealing with a seller that didn't want me to walk through a day or two before closing I would be very suspicious! To them this is the biggest investment they've probably made and they are excited and want to see it again just to make sure all is ok!   Let the realtor walk through with them and go about your business, there's no reason why you can't continue your work while the realtor continues his work with the buyer.  Sounds like you need to take a deep breath and realize it's almost over!!!