Any Medical Investors?

117 Replies

I'm curious.  How many here are in the medical field in any capacity?  I'm an ER doc and investor and I have lots of colleagues (in all facets)  in the medical field that want to start but I only know a few who truly have.  So who else here is or was in medicine? 

I have been a practicing physician for 29 years. I started in RE investing a few years ago with the goal of earlier retirement.

So far, so good.

@Drew Eldridge I’m a practicing Pediatrician for 15+ years. Running my own practice is my “day job.” My first foray into Real Estate was buying a building to move my practice into back in 2010. I figured my practice might not technically be worth any real money, but the building always will! I’m now looking to expand to more long-term investments like rentals of Single and/or Multi Family Homes. Of course, living on Long Island, NY I’m pretty much looking to invest out of state...
Originally posted by @Shawn Vuong :

Hey Drew, just finished residency and found this website. Looking at getting into some properties but haven't bought yet. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

Congratulations on just finishing residency!  What specialty?  And I'm happy to share with you my experiences good and bad.  I'll send you a DM with my number. 

Originally posted by @David Rosenberg :
@Drew Eldridge I’m a practicing Pediatrician for 15+ years. Running my own practice is my “day job.” My first foray into Real Estate was buying a building to move my practice into back in 2010. I figured my practice might not technically be worth any real money, but the building always will! I’m now looking to expand to more long-term investments like rentals of Single and/or Multi Family Homes. Of course, living on Long Island, NY I’m pretty much looking to invest out of state...

David - very smart to become your own landlord!  We've done the same with another non-medical business (Jiu Jitsu gym) that I'm a partner in. Sounds like you'll be taking 

@David Greene 's book to heart and buying long distance for sure!

Originally posted by @Ahmed Souissi :

@Drew Eldridge sounds you are looking for some funding for you next Deal ..... 

We are always adding to our investor list for our funds!.  But I truly enjoy comparing notes with others that have a similar background.  I find I can always learn something from everyone that I interact with regardless of whether or not they are just starting out or well beyond me.  

Originally posted by @Scott Weaner :

I have been a practicing physician for 29 years. I started in RE investing a few years ago with the goal of earlier retirement.

So far, so good.

Scott - That's awesome to hear.  Sounds like you and I had the same plan. lol.  At what age do you think that may happen? 

Originally posted by @Drew Eldridge :
Originally posted by @Shawn Vuong:

Hey Drew, just finished residency and found this website. Looking at getting into some properties but haven't bought yet. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

Congratulations on just finishing residency!  What specialty?  And I'm happy to share with you my experiences good and bad.  I'll send you a DM with my number. 

Neurosurgery, doing my Peds fellowship now. Was inspired during my research year to start looking into passive income by Jim Dahle’s book white coat investor. 

Hi guys Hi guys Just saw the post and I too am in Med field. Gut burned a decade ago with real estate but have educated myself more in the subject and am slowly getting back into it Our practice owns our building. I own a satellite office that we have practice pay NNN lease to me and I own my wife’s building. She is a psychologist and mainly cares for kids now but she has folks working in he building Almost bought a 25 unit and went through underwriting with Freddie/Fannie but deal fell through Again I am trying to get back into it after learning some lessons in last Thanks Mike M
Originally posted by @Aaron Wade :

ER RN here.  Closing on my first turnkey rental within the next 2-weeks.  

That's awesome, Aaron!  And congratulations.  What area?  

Originally posted by @Michael Magbalon :
Hi guys Hi guys Just saw the post and I too am in Med field. Gut burned a decade ago with real estate but have educated myself more in the subject and am slowly getting back into it

Our practice owns our building. I own a satellite office that we have practice pay NNN lease to me and I own my wife's building. She is a psychologist and mainly cares for kids now but she has folks working in he building

Almost bought a 25 unit and went through underwriting with Freddie/Fannie but deal fell through

Again I am trying to get back into it after learning some lessons in last

Thanks Mike M

Sounds like the NNN buildings were a smart idea for you! And glad to hear that you are back in the hunt despite a previous bad experience. If the deal fell through with the agency debt then it probably was a good thing. I think of their stringent underwriting as a good check and balance.

Originally posted by @Aaron Wade :

@Drew Eldridge - Thank you.  In my hometown of Little Rock, AR.  

Nice!  Another Arkansan.  I'm originally from Jonesboro.  

I do ultrasound in Colorado, Boulder/Denver area. I have to look out of state for properties. Little Rock definitely looks like a good market @Aaron Wade

@Drew Eldridge Hey Drew, I’m a full time CRNA in Montana. I’ve had a few rentals over the last couple of years and just recently started taking this REI journey more seriously through education, diving into BP, and getting involved with some local investing clubs. I’m currently finishing up a big renovation and cash out refi to reinvest elsewhere.
@Drew Eldridge My wife and I are RNs in CA. We have a rental in Sacramento and 4 in Chicago. We got hosed by a criminal turnkey company there in Chicago so that was/is a tough experience. We had five properties there but just sold one. The rest are doing well now though. I don’t know any docs who invest in RE. Strangely many I talked to aren’t investing in anything except maybe a 401k or got suckered into a whole life policy.