BRRRR refinance if purchased with cash vs. HML

BRRRR refinance if purchased with cash vs. HML

La Puente, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP friends!

I have a property that I'm looking at - and interested in the applying the BRRRR strategy.

The property is currently listed at $40K, and an approx a gut rehab comes to be $40k. The ARV/comps in the area is $140k. The rent in the area is $1100-$1200.

I have 2 options:

1) Purchase the property cash (hopefully for a lower price) - lets say $35k and then fund the rehab ($40K) cash - so my all in is $75k + closing fees. My current lender will only lend 75% ARV (max purchase price) after I close on the property. So with that, I leave most of my rehab cash in the property (40k) for the next 6 months.

 or

2) Purchase the property using private/HML - lets say at 40K and $40K rehab - total all in is $80k (not including lender fees + closing fees). In this scenario, I put 10% down with 7.5% interest only with 2-3 points. So my money vested in the property is approx $8k + closing + lender fees.

Both options require 6 months to season to pull out 75% ARV.

I would like to purchase cash for a quicker closing/better price, but I do not want to leave $40k in rehab money in property for 6 months.  

I also read somewhere about having your LLC lend you the money to get around this, anyone have experience with this?

Would really appreciate your feedback on this, thank you!

1Reply
12 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @Julie Phan everything about that sounds ok except for the rehab budget. I am not sure how big the property is, but 40k is going to go really, really fast on a gut rehab. Do you have your own crew already? If you have a crew you have used, maybe you can get costs that low. I know I budgeted about 75k for a rehab project I did in Berwyn last year, and costs over run happened. We ended up spending 126k... Not ideal! Thankfully, we still made a very small profit at the end (this was a flip), but I learned some valuable lessons. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.