Buying property from deceased

5 Replies

I am reaching out for some advice on a property i managed to get some local scoop on in my neighborhood. Recently i have been doing nightly walks to become more active physically and for the past year a property that previously had someone living in it, has looked empty and after talking to the neighbors, i found out that the person who owned it passed away last year in 2017. Also i noticed that the grass gets incredibly high from time to time and appears a county person is coming out and cutting the grass. 

So i thought that this may make a great off market deal, so i looked up the public records and found that the taxes have not been payed for in over a year, then i found that the property is owned by "estate of persons name" deceased.

What is some advice on possibly acquiring this property?

Send a letter to the mailing address on the property taxes.  

Look up the deed for the name of the deceased owner and any co-owners.

Check the probate records for heirs then contact them.

The property could be sitting unattended because it's stuck in probate. 

As always, seek professional advice. Good luck.

Originally posted by @Matt Shields :

Send a letter to the mailing address on the property taxes.  

Look up the deed for the name of the deceased owner and any co-owners.

Check the probate records for heirs then contact them.

The property could be sitting unattended because it's stuck in probate. 

As always, seek professional advice. Good luck.

Look up the deed for the name of the deceased owner and any co-owners. The record just says estate of name of person, then has tax mailing address as the same address as the property thats abandoned. 

Check the probate records for heirs then contact them. I am trying to find additional info on this, so far everything leads back to the same info as the same property, with a disconnected number. 

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

Contact the estate and try to buy it from them.

I am not sure how to find the estate info in the state of florida, i will have to look further into this. 

Check the Clerk of Court in the county and look at public records.  There should be a filed will or appointment of someone to handle the estate (search the deceased's name and something after the date of death).  There could also be a mortgage on the property (look up the original purchase paperwork in public records) and the heirs can't or won't pay it off or get a new loan so are letting it just sit there running up expenses.  Hopefully you will be able to find some contact info.