Hot areas / low crime

11 Replies

Hi investors. Ive been tied down to a rural area taking care of a family loved one for about 7 years and ready to start new. This is a depressed area in Central Pa. and dont want to start trying to build a portfolio here. Any suggestions on how I can research areas I might want to move on to so I can get started on my "1 before 2019" goal?

Thanks

@Tashia K campbell I have found the internet to be a really useful tool for just that-Zillow etc. You have to chop it up really fine though-Zip codes; even smaller. Crime and drugs are sometimes a couple of blocks away from a more decent area. Google maps and street view are useful, talking to investors and realtors is good; but sooner or later you need to go look for yourself. Attending local events like a state LL association meeting and introducing yourself can go a long way. All the best!

Bjorn can you give me your opinion on this one. Im scheduled to look at it Monday but frankly being right next to Penn St U and a shortage of student housing this seems to good to be true.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/buy_and_hold_results/834188.pdf?c=1539434910

Thanks

Originally posted by @Tashia K campbell :

Bjorn can you give me your opinion on this one. Im scheduled to look at it Monday but frankly being right next to Penn St U and a shortage of student housing this seems to good to be true.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/buy_and_hold_results/834188.pdf?c=1539434910

Thanks

The link does not work for me, Tashia is there an MLS number perhaps?

@Tashia K campbell It looks like a very presentable small house, no idea about the neighborhood. As you likely saw it was listed in 2013 for 80+k and changed 3 times. Does not appear to have sold. The Zestimate is more than double the asking. I'd be inclined to bring an inspector with you in order to see what's what. Obviously there is an anomaly there someplace. Did you talk to the listing agent? All the best!

Yea Im taking a contractor friend of mine with me. He fears there could be a wet basement but Im not seeing signs of moisture in the pics. He said if the numbers come back right I might not consider it a deal breaker putting in a sump pump due to the location being so good and asking being so low. I'll see what happens Monday. Thanks.

Bjorn I think youre right there were others there looking at it yesterday. 

Alex I grew up in Upper St Clair and dont like the area. Id like to be further south. The winters here get harder on me every year it seems.

Thanks guys.