Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Robert Huang
Votes |
Home Warranty useful?

Robert Huang
Posted Nov 7 2018, 15:11

Hi I know there's a lot of internet posts on this but I want to see if anyone has an opinion on my specific situation.

I purchased a home 1 week ago, to house hack. I waived the home warranty as negotiation tactic because since home inspector went thru house and did not find anything that would suggest there would be problems with covered items on the home warranty.

Home warranty does not cover pre-existing conditions, but makes exception for real estate transaction, if

1) malfunction was not know to seller's agent, buyer's agent and home inspector.

2) malfunction cannot be detect thru visual inspection or simple mechanical test.

so here is my malfunction that ended up costing me $1300.

the shut-off valve to the kitchen faucet made a grinding noise and started leaking when i was turning off the supply to the kitchen faucet. this is day 1 in the house. 

i also had toilet tank spurt out water from the side, whenever i flush the toilet, indicated a seal issue--again day 1. not sure how the inspector wasn't able to catch this.

because i live out of state and had to go back to work on day 3, i had somebody come out to replace a total of 7 shut-off valve to plumbing fixtures, 1 main line valve, and 1 water heater valve due to corrosions on the these valve parts for 1300

would home warranty have covered these replacement or would they try to wiggle out of paying for them saying the corrosion was visually present, and when not present, the leakage would have been detected had somebody trying turning off and on the shutoff valves or flushed the toilet?

Loading replies...