Purchasing another primary residence with less than 20% down.

3 Replies

So I purchased a primary residence in the Houston, TX area back in 2015.  I lived in it for two years and at the end of 2017 I moved to Boston, MA where I am renting.  Since moving out, I have leased out my primary residence in TX and it has been a rental since January 2018.  I have just signed an extension to this lease until December 2019.  I purchased it in 2015 with only 10% down and I believe I have now somewhere in the 15% equity in it.

I am looking to move back to the Houston, TX area now and am interested in buying a multi-family.  My question is, can I qualify for another primary residence and can I put less that 20% down on it?  Ideally I would like to put 5%-10% down on the multifamily.  Is this possible?

Edit: I would be living in one of the units in the multifamily.

Well, for multi family 10% down or less, it will be fha.  As long as your existing loan is not fha, it won’t affect you in getting an fha loan.

@Wayne Brooks - Thank you for the reply. My current loan is not FHA, it is conventional fixed 30 year.

I am looking at the FHA 3.5%-5% down as well as this Conventional 97 LTV loan. Are you saying that small multi families (2-4 units) are not eligible for conventional loans?

Also if the building needs some repairs possibly looking more into 203k FHA loans. Again, I am very unfamiliar with these different financing options. Just started Googling last week.

Originally posted by @Daniel Hoffmann :

@Wayne Brooks - Thank you for the reply. My current loan is not FHA, it is conventional fixed 30 year.

I am looking at the FHA 3.5%-5% down as well as this Conventional 97 LTV loan. Are you saying that small multi families (2-4 units) are not eligible for conventional loans?

Also if the building needs some repairs possibly looking more into 203k FHA loans. Again, I am very unfamiliar with these different financing options. Just started Googling last week.

Correct. The only low down payment option for multifamily is FHA. You can not use a low down payment conventional on a multi, you can only use those on single unit properties.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here