How to run the numbers on a rental property

How to run the numbers on a rental property

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes

Hi BP I am new to real estate investing. I just recently purchase a 2 family unit. I really don't understand how to figure out the numbers. When I use one of those analyzing calculators it's showing me I will be in the hole $143 a month. But I own the property 16 months now and I feel like I am making money so I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.. when I do my calculations for example. I'm coming up with a profit of over $500 I'm planning to purchase another rental property but I need to make sure I'm understanding this right

Example purchase property for $131,000

Put about $4,700 down mortgage with taxes insurance and garbage is $1060

Rent income $1975 - $1060 = $915

Maintenance fee vacants miscellaneous 35%

$915 - 35% = $594.75

0Reply
52 views

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I the way I do not pay for any heat or water tenants pay for that

  • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 655 posts · 900 votes
    7y

    @Kim Alvarez

    I just ran the numbers using the four square method really quick.  The numbers as you present them look good to me.

    You did not include closing costs, rehab budget, or holding costs to figure out cash on cash return.    

    Hopefully someone else can run the numbers to confirm.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Damaso Bautista

    I put away 35% to me that's kind of enough for Rehab maintenance fees or vacant. When I bought the property it was in very good condition. I'm not sure what the four square method is I'm going to look it up

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    What market is that property in that you were able to get a property not needing rehab for $131k that gets $1975 in rent every month?

  • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 655 posts · 900 votes
    7y

    @Ali Boone

    @Kim Alvarez

    I was thinking the same thing.  Where is that location, I would like to buy there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ali Boone it's in Pennsylvania

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ali Boone

    But my question was taking away 35% for maintenance or any rehab in the future or any other miscellaneous stuff is that a good amount. The place I bought is 2 units two bedrooms and each apartment good condition one rent for $1030 the other one rents for $945 the second floor unit basically covers the whole mortgage. My mortgage includes the taxes insurance and garbage. The tenants pay or electricity water and heat theirselves

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Damaso Bautista

    Pennsylvani. But my question was taking away 35% for maintenance or any rehab in the future or any other miscellaneous stuff is that a good amount. The place I bought is 2 units two bedrooms and each apartment good condition one rent for $1030 the other one rents for $945 the second floor unit basically covers the whole mortgage. My mortgage includes the taxes insurance and garbage. The tenants pay or electricity water and heat theirselves

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 530 posts · 398 votes
    7y

    In a simple sense, start with this formula.

     (Gross Income minus what % you are taking out for Vacancy)=Effective Gross Income

    Take your effective then minus out your expenses as a landlord such as what utilities you pay, maintenance, reserves, taxes etc=Your Net operating income, your NOI. This is the money your property is producing.

    Take your NOI then minus out your debt service aka your mortgage payments and that is going to give you your cash flow. Do this on an annual basis. This is what you are taking home.

    Make sure you do not double deduct your taxes and insurance.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kim Alvarez:

    @Ali Boone

    But my question was taking away 35% for maintenance or any rehab in the future or any other miscellaneous stuff is that a good amount. The place I bought is 2 units two bedrooms and each apartment good condition one rent for $1030 the other one rents for $945 the second floor unit basically covers the whole mortgage. My mortgage includes the taxes insurance and garbage. The tenants pay or electricity water and heat theirselves

    Well then why is the BP calculator showing you in the hole? Seems like you're not only profiting on paper, but you're profiting in real life too. So what's the conundrum?

    I need to be looking for properties in whatever town that is in!

    (how in the world does garbage get included in a mortgage?)

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Bjorik Mutize

    thank you so much

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ali Boone

    The calculator was confusing me because it had me add my mortgage and then have me add taxes and insurance but that all is included in one mortgage payment including the garbage I don't know that's just the way Pennsylvania does it they give you a choice if you want to pay separately or if you want it all in one payment and I choose to have it in one payment. I also do not pay any water or heat the tenant paid for that. I got it figured out I think

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Bjorik Mutize

    That's how I was getting confused on the calculator because my taxes insurance and garbage is all included in one mortgage payment and then calculator have me putting all of that in separate

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 530 posts · 398 votes
    7y

    @Kim Alvarez Gotcha. Perhaps practice on paper then translate what you get onto the spreadsheet and/or calculators.

    That way you can physically see how you are breaking down each line item.

    It’s easier to learn now with smaller properties as well.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    New member, and 1st time posting. Been reading up on the forums almost daily over the last few months, as I am looking to get a house hack 2-4 unit before the end of the year.

    Unless I missed something completely from the calculator, what I read in the forums, and what I have seen/heard in the podcasts and webinars, I believe that the expense percentage comes in from total rent, and not a percentage off of the leftover money when PIMI is taken away. That being said, the math still seems to support cash flow of $223.75 using a 35% expense ratio.

    Someone please correct me if I am wrong, as I want to make sure that I am solid on making these calculations for when the time is right for me as well.

    Thanks in advance!

  • Lawrence L.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2008 · 144 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    @Ali Boone When you run the numbers for 1-4 family Multifamily do you use 50% for expenses?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Bjorik Mutize

    Ok thank u

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Lawrence L.

    I'm holding 35% for maintenance fees vacant fees. I could hold 50% but I feel 35% seems to be enough. Like I said my mortgage includes the garbage taxes and insurance so that all comes out of one payment the other 35% is for maintenance vacance and miscellaneous

  • Lawrence L.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2008 · 144 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    @Kim Alvarez Thank you.  Continued success in your real estate endeavors. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.