Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Allen L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago and mainly invests in KS remotely
Votes |
Frustrated about lack of cash flow

Allen L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago and mainly invests in KS remotely
Posted Mar 19 2019, 20:02

Long story short, my fiance and I own 5 properties in US and Canada generating about $88K USD of gross annual rental income. 4 are SFH and 1 Duplex. However our estimated annual cash flow is $6500 USD after PITI, property management fee, 8% vacancy, and estimated capex and maintenance. Other than my first property in the US in TX which I purchased before being introduced to BP is theoretically losing cash flow due to high property taxes and 0.8% rent/purchase price, the other properties are cash flowing positive after ample cushion for capex. Perhaps I'm being harder on capex and maintenance than others, I don't use the percentage rule, I calculate capex and maintenance as straight $2750 for SFH and $4000 for duplex.

I'm a bit shocked at reading all of these posts on BP about how much cash everyone is getting per property, and would like to find out what's the best way to replicate the same strategy. I haven't done any BRRRR or flips, I mostly buy properties needing a little work and rent it out within a month of purchase. I've evaluated BRRRR on a few properties found on MLS and found most of them do not cash flow significantly better than a good "move in ready" deal on MLS considering all the rehab costs, carry, and refi costs. I want to pursue wholesaling opportunities but haven't been able to pull the trigger on a deal due to the fact that I don't have access to a HML, the best thing I have is a commercial lender that can include rehab in loan but he was kind of skeptical of me because I am OOS and haven't had any experience managing BRRRR, but from what I hear you need either cash or HML to lock down wholesale properties. It also seems most people pay for rehab using their own cash, so it's insane to me how much cash is needed to execute a proper BRRRR. I'm open to the idea of BRRRR but is definitely a little skeptical. Maybe I'm not looking at the right place or have the right contacts. I'm open to any 200K+ population city. My question - how do I improve my cash flow situation?

Loading replies...