Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Advice on a horrible situation

Larry Spradling
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Mar 28 2019, 20:06

Two years ago, I was brand new to real estate and transferred my IRA to a self-directed IRA. I was introduced to a company called Growth Equity Group that specialized in turnkey rentals for folks like me who had IRA funds to invest. I thought I knew enough to move forward, but clearly didn't ask enough questions or exercise enough caution. I received a letter last month from the mortgage company stating that my loan was going to go into default if I didn't make the last 4 payments. Turns out that the tenant wasn't paying rent and the property manager didn't bother to let me know what was going on. I got that straightened out and then started digging more into the property. After running the numbers, my monthly cashflow is NEGATIVE 22.00 a month. I talked to the property manager about selling the property so they sent me a market analysis that shows the average comp is $40,000 to $50,000. I paid $100,900 for this home two years ago. I owe $62,000 on it. This is so upside down that I don't know what to do. Would greatly appreciate some advice. What I don't need is a lecture. This is my fault as I knew just enough to be dangerous and now I'm paying for it. At this point, negative $22.00 a month seems less costly than taking a multi-thousand dollar hit by selling it for signficanly less than what I bought it for. Am I right in this thinking? Are there other options I should consider?

Loading replies...