Deceased Ex-husband on Title!

1 Reply

I am putting a distressed property under contract when I found out that a 2nd name on title is a deceased ex-husband. The lady has no documentation related to full control of property, except a death certificate. No probate has been done, and obviously there is no estate planning. The seller has no knowledge of any of these processes. Question: what is the best way to help them out to clear this mess without long probate process? She claims her ex had no wife or kids, but who knows....... do I refer them to a real estate attorney?

Originally posted by @Ari T. :

I am putting a distressed property under contract when I found out that a 2nd name on title is a deceased ex-husband. The lady has no documentation related to full control of property, except a death certificate. No probate has been done, and obviously there is no estate planning. The seller has no knowledge of any of these processes. Question: what is the best way to help them out to clear this mess without long probate process? She claims her ex had no wife or kids, but who knows....... do I refer them to a real estate attorney?

Some of it depends on how they took title. I would contact a title company and have them run a prelim title report. I like Great American, they are very good and they may have an office in Tucson. They will tell you what you need in order to clear title.