Advice for a Canadian wholesaler to establish a US network

Advice for a Canadian wholesaler to establish a US network

Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 20 votes

Hey!

My name is Zackarias Aitchison and I have been a Canadian wholesaler for quite a while now but I want to branch out into the US market. I have useful connections here in Canada to property managers and realtors but they all came through mutual friends. How should I approach a property manager or a contractor I have never met but want to regularly work with them from a long distance? 

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Stephen FryerPro Member
Investor · Ottawa ON / South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 93 votes
7y

Hey @Zackarias Aitchison

I live in Ottawa and invest in South Bend, IN. If I were starting over and had to find a property manager and realtor, I would do the following:

  1. Surf Craigslist and Zillow for properties for rent. You'll be certain to find property managers there to contact and begin your journey.
  2. Craigslist is a great place to find wholesalers in your market. Just select properties for sale by owner. Many will be offered by wholesalers. 
  3. Perhaps  the best place to find either is here on Bigger Pockets. ;-) Most people have made use of Keyword alerts so if you create a post looking for property managers or realtors in your market, they will be notified and people will likely respond with referrals.  
  4. Finally, click on Network at the top of the page and select companies. You can find wholesalers, agents, property managers etc.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stephen FryerPro Member
    Investor · Ottawa ON / South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 93 votes
    7y

    Hey @Zackarias Aitchison

    I live in Ottawa and invest in South Bend, IN. If I were starting over and had to find a property manager and realtor, I would do the following:

    1. Surf Craigslist and Zillow for properties for rent. You'll be certain to find property managers there to contact and begin your journey.
    2. Craigslist is a great place to find wholesalers in your market. Just select properties for sale by owner. Many will be offered by wholesalers. 
    3. Perhaps  the best place to find either is here on Bigger Pockets. ;-) Most people have made use of Keyword alerts so if you create a post looking for property managers or realtors in your market, they will be notified and people will likely respond with referrals.  
    4. Finally, click on Network at the top of the page and select companies. You can find wholesalers, agents, property managers etc.
  • Specialist · Member since 2019 · 494 posts · 220 votes
    7y

    @Zackarias Aitchison A lot of investors find that it can be better to look for "off market” deals. These are homeowners who haven’t taken the time and made the investment to fix up their homes before putting it on the market.

    Mailing is probably the best way to find your own off-market deals. These are people who share motivational characteristics of people ready to sell, but haven't yet done all the work they think they need to list property. The best way to find them is to send out mailers.

    Some good lists to target are Absentee Owners with Equity, Seniors with Long-time Ownership and Homeowners with Low Financial Stability Scores.

    You can work with a list broker to optimize your list for your area. From there, there are a lot of companies that can help with the printing and mailing. Be sure that you highlight that "selling your house can be easier than you think" with the advantages of working directly with you instead of the more traditional route.

  • Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Stephen Fryer Thank you! I will put this into action and let you know how it goes!

  • Stephen FryerPro Member
    Investor · Ottawa ON / South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 93 votes
    7y

    Hey there @Zackarias Aitchison. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Feel free to connect. I am happy to share. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.