Peter Schiff-Food & Energy to Increase not RE in next recession

3 Replies

I watched a Peter Schiff podcast last night that says our next recession will not be like our last one. He believes we will have an inflationary recession which will be exacerbated by the Feds attempt to boost the economy through more quantitative easing. Instead of real estate prices climbing upwards due to the easing (like they did last time), we will be seeing food and energy prices increasing this go around, not real estate and stocks.

Don’t get me wrong, I love listening to Peter, I’m buying metals right now along with real estate because I think they will increase dramatically again like they did in the last disaster. My plan was to sell off metals when they peak and buy undervalued real estate and ride the next real estate wave upward. But it doesn’t look like Peter agrees. What do you guys think?

Is he the same clown that predicted MASSIVE inflation every day on every podcast and in every interview for the first 3 years after the recession because of the stimulus  package? Over and over and over. Or the guy hyping gold was going to $10,000/oz? Or both?

If he was, he wasn’t alone. Some of those guys from 2008-2012 owe MASSIVE apologies, or at least an acknowledgement that they were wrong again. 

Originally posted by @Bill Brandt :

Is he the same clown that predicted MASSIVE inflation every day on every podcast and in every interview for the first 3 years after the recession because of the stimulus  package? Over and over and over. Or the guy hyping gold was going to $10,000/oz? Or both?

If he was, he wasn’t alone. Some of those guys from 2008-2012 owe MASSIVE apologies, or at least an acknowledgement that they were wrong again. 

An argument has been made he may have been early but perhaps he was still accurate? The problem as he sees it is no one really predicted a Trump victory, and rather than our economic balloon deflating and then properly inflating again, it continued to inflate, now the air is starting to come out. We are about to have a full blown mess on our hands because we aren’t going to be turning to free market capitalism (at least in the short term) to build a successful economy. Thoughts?

Not once did I hear a timeline over 2 years when these predictions were being made daily in 2008 and 2009. You can’t say something that happened 10 years later stalled a prediction. You’re left with two possibilities  they were wrong or they were deceitful  I’m pretty sure if they KNEW the MASSIVE INFLATION (their words) wasn’t going to happen for 10 more years, a couple presidential elections and congresses later, they would have said so.

Saying you were early when you “Predicted” something that will certainly happen sometime in the future is no predicting and certainly isn’t helpful, maybe even harmful. 

I predict there will be another major war! You should worry  

I predict the US will face massive damage from a hurricane! Worry worry worry  

I predict a world leader will be assassinated!  plan plan plan  

“Predicting” something has to come with a timeline, or as any smart predictor knows, one will be assumed. And by default the predictor accepts that timeline or is being deceitful. 

How many years from today can his “prediction” still be right? Does it have to be the next recession? Or can it be 3 recessions from now and he was still just early?

How many years from now will he apologize to the people he talked out of the massive stock market rally and into a money losing gold investment?