Would you offer on this house with foundation issues? (picture)

Would you offer on this house with foundation issues? (picture)

Joe A.Business Member
Realtor · Waco, TX · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 80 votes

I found this house by Driving for Dollars/Direct Mail. However, it's going into foreclosure and is set to be auctioned in August.  It's next to a ravine with a creek running through it.  The retaining wall has collapsed which made half of the backyard collapse also.  That exposed pipe is the sewage line.  There are also two trees growing down onto the roof. Inside, it's a hoarder house.  Junk and trash piled up everywhere!  It would be a complete gut and remodel.  The best thing about it is it's in a very desirable area.  

I've run the numbers, and I don't think I can offer enough to cover what is owed to the bank.  In addition, I'm relatively a real estate investing beginner.  I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Thoughts? 

0Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
7y

Hey Joe, I think I'd avoid getting into this, especially if you are more on the beginner side of things. Without a lot of experience, costs could be through the roof on this property

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    Hey Joe, I think I'd avoid getting into this, especially if you are more on the beginner side of things. Without a lot of experience, costs could be through the roof on this property

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2017 · 209 posts · 367 votes
    7y

    In this case you have to ignore how much the bank is owed. You might be able to buy it cheap enough to demolish the house and build new.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2018 · 116 posts · 73 votes
    7y

    @Joe Alford

    That looks more like a soil issue that caused the foundation issues. Not a fun fix. I’m out on this one if I were looking.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Joe A.

    This is a huge project.  I like challenges, but not this one.  Let someone else take it on.  

    Good Luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Joe Alford

    This would be definitely something I would avoid. Looks like there is a water runoff problem which is causing the ground and cement to crumble away. The picture below is something we are dealing with locally. Obviously this is on a much larger scale but these homes will be taken out any time now and the city/homeowners can’t do anything to stop it.

    [IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/zjf7dl.jpg[/IMG]

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I’d stay away from this one. It is the kind of thing where if you have to ask whether you should buy it you should probably pass. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mikus Zisumbo:

    @Joe Alford

    This would be definitely something I would avoid. Looks like there is a water runoff problem which is causing the ground and cement to crumble away. The picture below is something we are dealing with locally. Obviously this is on a much larger scale but these homes will be taken out any time now and the city/homeowners can’t do anything to stop it.

    [IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/zjf7dl.jpg[/IMG]

     yup suspect those are condemned ..  in those scenarios you just hope your in a purchase money state and the bank ends up writing it off in Texas no write off the bank can and will sue you for a deficiency. 

  • Joe A.Business Member
    OP
    Realtor · Waco, TX · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 80 votes
    7y

    @Michael Noto I like that reasoning.

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 170 posts · 242 votes
    7y

    @Joe Alford got any more pics?

  • Joe A.Business Member
    OP
    Realtor · Waco, TX · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 80 votes
    7y

    @Lauren B. No, sorry.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs I wonder if you are familiar with a guy in Kelso, WA who was a builder/developer there.  His last name was Fundingsland.  He was part of some massive project up in the hills above town, really pretty area.  I grew up not far from there, went to Kelso HS, and I had a lot of friends and some relatives that lived up there in that neighborhood.  Then they developed mudslides and the whole subdivisions - hundreds of homes - were condemned.  Crazy to imagine the scale of that.  This would have been sometime in the late 1990s or early 2000s... Not sure exactly. When I left school and joined the service in 1987 all was fine.  Since you are/were big in Portland, only an hour away, I figured you might have some recollection.  That guy was a distant relative of mine, like my grandmothers uncle or something.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mark Sewell:

    @Jay Hinrichs I wonder if you are familiar with a guy in Kelso, WA who was a builder/developer there.  His last name was Fundingsland.  He was part of some massive project up in the hills above town, really pretty area.  I grew up not far from there, went to Kelso HS, and I had a lot of friends and some relatives that lived up there in that neighborhood.  Then they developed mudslides and the whole subdivisions - hundreds of homes - were condemned.  Crazy to imagine the scale of that.  This would have been sometime in the late 1990s or early 2000s... Not sure exactly. When I left school and joined the service in 1987 all was fine.  Since you are/were big in Portland, only an hour away, I figured you might have some recollection.  That guy was a distant relative of mine, like my grandmothers uncle or something.

     I don't but I bet my wife does  her maiden name Is Lori Wika and she ran the C 21 office in Longview / worked there and was a top producer in those years...  unstable hillsides on the west coast are a reality.. I have sold dirt in N. CA that were on ancient landslides you could see were the whole hillside sluffed off but that was say 5,000 years ago.

    the mother of all though has to be Hilo and all the subdivisions lots built on active volcanic flows  we saw what happens to those. there are probably 20,000 lots that were created there in the 50s and 60s.. you could buy them for 2 to 10k..  all day long.. 

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    Issues like this typically require extensive shoring then installing Piles because soil erosion will undermine all cement and block walls.   Alternative, raise the house on stilts like they do in flood zones.

    Either way, not worth it! Considering the cost, engineering, town and permit issues and all that can go wrong. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 935 votes
    7y

    It looks like bulldozer bait.  Consider it for a tear-down/rebuild, but probably not a fix-n-flip.  As a beginner, think "easy" unless you possess strong renovation skills.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Joe A., this isn't a "foundation issue" this is much bigger than that.

    Walk away, this is biting off WAY more than you can chew as a newbie. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.