Dropping out of High School.

Dropping out of High School.

Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 85 votes

I want to build a real estate investing business. I want to buy and hold, I want to rent I want to do BRRRR's and I feel like High School is holding me back. I also want to get a job working with GC starting out as a laborer and working my way up. I sit in school for 6-7 hours a day miserable, tired and annoyed. I feel like I could be home studying, or in an internship and gaining real world experience. I dont feel like i fit in school because of what I want to do. What do you guys think about this? I am finishing up 10th grade. I have big plans and I want to start executing them. The only issue with this is I want to join the fire department and I dont know if they require a High School diploma or not. Im feeling really torn at the moment. (For reference I am a honor roll student 90.4 GPA)

31Reply
1,245 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 469 votes
7y

Short answer.  Do not drop out of high school.  PERIOD.  

See this reply in the discussion

210 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    I cannot get work outside my current career that pays anywhere near what I'm making because I didn't finish college. Trades that specifically state they will take you as long as you have Gr12 Math are overlooking me. This sounds trivial except.... the same people that are overlooking someone who finished high-school and a year of college, will be evaluating your every move as a potential partner.

  • Lender · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @John Moorhouse as someone who dropped out of high school in the 10th grade I fully understand your feelings. I suggest you explore your options to accelerate your schooling. Try to find a school that challenges you or study to take the GED. YOU MUST FINISH IT THOUGH. Not having a diploma or GED will haunt you and hinder you for the rest of your life. It may feel like you are being slowed down but this is a great time to learn that certain things have to be done and you must learn while you are in this position.

    Once again, explore all options to either accelerate or complete high school early. Look at this as a way to learn how to be creative. You will need that skill in real estate.

    Good luck bro but do not drop out.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mcallen, TX · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Don't drop out. You will regret it. @John Moorhouse

  • Lender · Everett, WA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse it takes time to see the benefits of school. I felt the same point at times. More times than not, I think back to times where what I learned in school is benefitting vs having zero benefit.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rockport, TX · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Work as a helper for various trades part time while you're still in school. You'll gain knowledge, experience, get a good reputation, and you'll meet the people that may eventually be your subcontractors.


  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    Don't know if you're still here reading responses, but if you are, your choice here is a false dichotomy. There's no reason you can't stay in high school AND work in construction. Every GC I know is always hard up for good workers. Most GCs I know these days have crews running on Saturdays because there's too much work to do a 5 day week. Go find some crews busting it out somewhere on Saturday and find out who you ask for a part time job on Saturdays. 

    Don't drop out. One day you'll find some of high school was like lessons from Mr. Miyagi. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse There are a ton of responses here so if this has already been said, please forgive me. I "left" high school at 16 by taking a proficiency exam (comparable to a diploma; not a GED) which was available in my state. I was also motivated to do so because I wanted to get a head start. I ended up going straight to a jr. college at 16 as a sophomore because of AP classes I had taken in high school, and I never regretted that decision. All that said, you need to really think about the classic high school experiences you will miss by leaving school early.

    If there is no proficiency exam in your state ignore all of the above, for reasons which have probably been repeated ad nauseam (and rightfully so).

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    @JD Martin I’m still reading every single response, but i got a lot of people PMing me now which was not what I thought would come out of me posting this. But I’m happy it did because a lot of great things are going happening in there. To you and to everyone else who has not yet gotten a response back from me yet. Thank you very much and I am soaking in all of your words like a sponge.

  • Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 545 posts · 252 votes
    7y

    The truth? NO ONE feels like they should be there when they're in high school. Work weekends, save money and be patient.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse

    Leave, drop out, but you better be willing to hustle and not give up and do everything possible to succeed. Just be saying this because you got all Hyped up on Gary Vee and want to drop out because of what he preaches. Truly listen to his words if you do follow him. One of my best friends in high school was going nowhere in high school, but he was the working and hustling type. When he told me our sophomore year that he was dropping out I knew it was for the best. He was truly wasting his time, he was failing every class and, told me I’m not cut out for this I’m going to go work because I understand that. This became a top restaurant manager, then went to work on windmills and becoming one of the only qualified people in his industry holding certain certifications, he did this for about 10 years and for the last two years he worked there built a fabrication business on the side and grew that into his main hustle. Sleepless nights, rehab for alcoholism and a divorce later he has grown into a decent size fabrication company working on mansions in Beverly Hills and still working his *** off. If you’re an honor student you have the ability to finish school, Gary Vee would say be patient. There are other things you can do that will help you get closer to your goal. The fact you’re in this forum is evidence your smart use intelligence and think hard about your decision. One thing my friend had was a plan, he never moved on to the next step until he had a plan... doesn’t need to be a foolproof plan just one that you can execute. Good luck to you.

  • Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse

    Respect your hustle so much, but don’t ditch high school. I’m gonna recommend the Gary Vee approach: go to school everyday and sit in science class while you read a book/surf online and learn about what motivates you. You don’t need to do well if you don’t plan to base your future off what they’re trying to teach you in the classroom. If you think your time is more Valuable focusing on the RE game and you’re committing your life to it after you graduate, send it. Added bonus is you have to be finished up for the summer and can spent 2 and a half months doing nothing but learning about real estate. A GED is a must have, finish strong my friend.

  • Investor · Henrico , VA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    This forum is full of people who work full time jobs and have been successful in real estate investment. Check to see if your school district offers any technical programs that your can get you hands on experience during school hours.  Some of them even over school credit for apprentice/internship training.  As far as the fire department goes, i would at least take the time to look up that information before making a decision because most professional fire fighters at need at least a high school diploma. Use your spare time work on deal analysis and finance or partner with family on deals. There are plenty of options that would allow you finish school a focus on what you want career wise.    

  • Real Estate Agent · Riverside, CA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse

    I admire your ambition but it would be foolish to quit high school. It could hurt your credibility in completing things you’ve started because you just want to go on to the next best thing.

    And if for some reason things don’t go as planned, you at least have a diploma.

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Stay in high school! 

  • Investor · Kennedale, TX · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 349 votes
    7y

    My plumber and AC contractor hires guys that drop out of school or have criminal records to do the manual labor while they rake in the cash. How are you going to pay for the properties you want to buy? By being the helper or by being the contractor?

    I hated high school. I did just enough to get by. It wasn't that I was stupid, I just didn't see the need for the stuff they were teaching. I wish I would have paid more attention and went to college so I would have had things easier.

    There's no reason why you can't work for someone on the weekends so you can learn the skills you will need when buying houses. Carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, sheetrock and texturing, or handyman skills. You'll make some money and learn some valuable skills.

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse

    John I was in the same situation than you when I was your age. I eventually did drop out for the same exact reason. I got in the carpenters local at 18. I bought my own house a block away from the beach at 24 with my mom co-signing. House hacked my house till it was renovated and affordable. What I would do different is to finish high school. The reason I say that is because when you give up school you give up your leverage to negotiate your wage, GC’s and the construction businesses love people that do that. It was a real struggle for me to even explain to my wife’s friends and family why I dropped out of High school. The label sticks with you! Trust me! Your going to do what you want, but I know first hand to stay in high school learn a trade get into the union.

  • Real Estate Investor · Unionville, CT · Member since 2016 · 260 posts · 167 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse never drop out. You can finish school and work at the same time to gain valuable experience and work towards your future goal. You’ll need w2 income to qualify for mortgages until you build up cash reserves or get investors to where you can purchase homes with cash. Focus on earning income after high school. A drop out often is behind the curve when earning income.

    I’m a teacher and I’ve seen people regret not keeping on course and the GED programs are not a piece of cake when they decide to go back.

    Focus on building the skills needed to get into the house rehabbing/buying/landlording whatever.... you can become a realtor at 18. Take the class, get your license. Learn what you need to be a GC and pursue that too. The world is your oyster

  • Todd SolbergPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Byron, MN · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse John, be patient. You need a HS education to even be considered for the most entry level job. HS sucks, consider it a right of passage if nothing else. You're obviously intelligent and have ambition which puts you ahead of many of your peers. Be patient, stay educated, focus on one thing, find a mentor, crush it. You have time.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    You really don't have to drop out of high school to become an investor.  It sounds like you are looking for a reason to drop out.  Because you can do both , you should take the tools and advantages at your disposal and use them.  Dropping out of high school is just putting the odds against yourself.  It is not holding you back from being a real estate investor.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Moorhouse:

    I want to build a real estate investing business. I want to buy and hold, I want to rent I want to do BRRRR's and I feel like High School is holding me back. I also want to get a job working with GC starting out as a laborer and working my way up. I sit in school for 6-7 hours a day miserable, tired and annoyed. I feel like I could be home studying, or in an internship and gaining real world experience. I dont feel like i fit in school because of what I want to do. What do you guys think about this? I am finishing up 10th grade. I have big plans and I want to start executing them. The only issue with this is I want to join the fire department and I dont know if they require a High School diploma or not. Im feeling really torn at the moment. (For reference I am a honor roll student 90.4 GPA)

     Stay in school. Anytime you're trying to get a job the fact that you didn't / couldn't finish something as easy as high school will be seen as a huge red flag by potential employers, thus cutting off many of your opportunities.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I found that education does not generally equal wealth, intelligence, etc. THERE IS ONLY A CORRELATION between education and high income levels. I graduated from UCLA and I don't believe I'm any smarter than anyone else who didnt go to college. 

    In my 3rd year of college, I hated life. I dreaded going to class and I almost dropped out after studying my butt off for a 5 hour econ exam and only receiving a C-. But I STUCK IT OUT. This is what's important, not the knowledge I gained (Don't remember any of it now). When things got tough for me, and I was depressed and broken, I pushed on and finished. My ability to push through is what's important. That character trait I built there has helped me out throughout life. If you drop out, that will create a quiting attitude for the rest of your life 

    Last point, if you dont have a HS diploma, people WILL perceive you negatively. Your social status will plummet. Your grades are irrelevant , the only thing that matters is the diploma. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse

    You have big dreams but you don't want to lay the foundation for it?? Finish school than go get a degree in economics MBA you are missing the best time of your life

  • New to Real Estate · Bronx, NY · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    @John Moorhouse I understand where you are coming from on this topic. After being on biggerpockets, watching YouTube videos, surrounding yourself around the right people or even paying for trainings, anyone can get this real estate thing down packed. Also anyone with any common sense and can do at least middle school math will do fine. Along with putting in the work. Not getting your diploma will definitely be frowned upon in society but if you know your stuff who is actually going to know unless your trying to get a certain job. So depending on your goals there is plenty of routes you can take. That's just my two cents.
  • Bob LangworthyPro Member
    Accountant · Brunswick, ME · Member since 2017 · 352 posts · 242 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse, My kids are 19, 17, 14, & 11 and I was once a bored 10th grader myself so I can understand where you're at. Unfortunately, I didn't have an outlet like this to post on or the courage to say what you said. So well done. If you reread your original post, you sound pretty scattered. Here's what you said:

    1) I want to build a real estate investing business

    2) I want to buy and hold

    3) I want to rent

    4) I want to do BRRRRs

    5) I want to work as a laborer for a GC

    6) I want to work my way up working for the GC

    7) I could be home studying

    8) I could be in an internship

    9) I want to join the fire department

    That's a lot of things to do. And some of them are mutually exclusive. Here's what you should do to achieve the success that you dream about.

    1) Finish high school. Just finish it so that you won't be a quitter.

    2) Probably don't go to college since you don't care about it and more people than ever are finding it to be a waste of time and money (I have 3 college degrees, so don't @ me bro)

    3) Since you're bored, read great books. The One Thing, Rich Dad Poor Dad, The Richest Man in Babylon, The 12 Week Year, One Rental at a Time (@Michael Zuber), and any BP book would be a good place to start. 

    4) Get a job. Preferably one related to real estate.

    5) Live on less than you make.

    6) Go to BP meet ups and meet successful people. Find out what they did.

    7) Buy your first property (4-plex is ideal, @Mike Roy has a lot to say about this)

    8) Keep your job while using that income and the income from the investment property to buy more properties.

    9) Be careful what content you consume on YouTube, IG, and podcasts. Make sure they are legit, have actually done what you want to do, and are providing meaningful content.

    10) Once you are successful (anyone can be successful in real estate), mentor others.

    Hope this helps,

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @John Moorhouse coming from someone who dropped out of high school... Stay in school man. Trust me. Especially if you are on track to graduate and aren't years/credits behind.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.