best flooring to install on a flip property

best flooring to install on a flip property

Investor · Newfoundland, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 50 votes

Hi All,

Am in the middle of renovating my first flip property in NJ. I have 3 rental properties, but this one has become to expensive to rent out. I am ready to put the floors down. I am leaning towards vinyl flooring and wanted to ask the experts which is the best brand to use, best price,  etc.  Or have a better suggestion that they always use?

I am thinking something like this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifeProof-Heirloom-Pine-8-7-in-x-47-6-in-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-20-06-sq-ft-case-I969104L/300461609

Unless someone has a better suggestion that they always use and it comes out great?

Thanks so much in advance...

Chris

1Reply
75 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

What I've learned from 10 years and 20 SFHs - 

NOOOO Carpet!

I used to lay cement board and ceramic tile in potential wet areas - kitchen, bath, laundry. Really hard work. Now I use Lowes grout-able vinyl tile.  So easy it is almost fun. Almost. 

I use low cost Home Depot vinyl laminate everywhere if sub-floors are smooth

I use low cost Lowes wood laminate in dry areas if sub-floors are not completely smooth.

Best, Terrell

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Chris B.

    Depends on the price range. If it was a rental, it also depends on the number of owners vs. renters in the area. If a home owner is most likely to be the buyer, vs. another investor, that will be a factor as well.

    Most flips near me for homes under $400,000 tend to be laminate if the floors need replacing or if the property didn't originally have wood floors (just carpet or sub-flooring). If the house already has solid wood floors, most people will just refinish them, but sometimes they are too beat up to refinish and laminate is the cheaper option.

  • Investor · Newfoundland, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Phillips Thanks for responding. The house was purchased for $58 K. I will be all in around 170K once completed. It's ARV should fall between 229K and 249K. All working class home owners live in this small lake community. The property is worthy of granite countertops and a decent floor. Kitchen floors were tiled. I am installing plush carpeting into the 3 bedrooms. This is just for the living, dining, hallway and a bonus front room. There was some releveling of the floors that needed to get done so had to rip out half of the original wood floors. They are all plywood now...

    This Lifeproof LVF by Home Depot looks good. Just wanted to see if someone uses a different brand that is less than $3 sq ft. and would recommend...  Thanks again...

    Thanks again...

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    What I've learned from 10 years and 20 SFHs - 

    NOOOO Carpet!

    I used to lay cement board and ceramic tile in potential wet areas - kitchen, bath, laundry. Really hard work. Now I use Lowes grout-able vinyl tile.  So easy it is almost fun. Almost. 

    I use low cost Home Depot vinyl laminate everywhere if sub-floors are smooth

    I use low cost Lowes wood laminate in dry areas if sub-floors are not completely smooth.

    Best, Terrell

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Chris B.

    @Terrell Garren is correct. Carpet in a rental is a tough one. You'll end up constantly replacing it due to foot traffic, spills, and potentially pets. Sometimes you can get away with really cheap carpet in the low traffic areas like bedrooms. I would go with cheap laminate before carpet.

  • Investor · Newfoundland, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Terrell Garren  Even in a house your not looking to rent,  but sell?   no carpet?

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Chris B.  Good question. My response was purely for rentals. My apologies. 

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I've done my last 4 houses (rentals) with LVP (5mm) that were under $2.25 sf from Lumber Liquidators.  If you do multiple houses you can set up a pro account and get it even cheaper.  If I were flipping however, the homeowner wants more of a lux look, I would go with the cheapest wood flooring I could find.  Look at the "Floorbusters" on the Lumber Liq website, they have real wood under $3 a sf.  give them a reason to maximize your sale price.  Flooring, Kitchen, bath.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charleston SC · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    I've done $2-3 laminate in living areas, carpet in rooms, and you can get really nice vinyl tile for bathrooms for under $2 sqft for bathrooms. Really depends on the price range. These are all right around the 200k price range. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    I often buy from builddirect.  They have multiple different option for laminates and vinyl.

  • Specialist · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    This depends on many factors of course, but with the rise in popularity and consumer demand for Greys, more specifically SPC - click lock waterproof Vinyls I’d recommend this over a laminate any-day as I can guarantee you can get it the same or lower as most retail Laminates if you know where to look / who to ask :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.