Cost of getting utilities to land

13 Replies

Hey guys,

I’m looking at buying some raw land to build on, it has no utilities but they are on the street that the land is on and there are other properties close by.

What are the steps I need to do to find out pricing on getting utilities to the property?

@Benjamin Mann

You have to call each local utility company.

Electric will cost you to run wire to the house and install meter.

Gas will cost you to run line to the house and install meter.

Water and sewer will also need to be run unless you're digging a well and putting in septic.

@Benjamin Mann - first you need to find out what utilities are available. If public water and sewer are available you may not have an option to go with well/septic. Electric fees can vary wildly from one company to another. Mine will run the first 200 or so feet for free. Others will want your first born child......

Originally posted by @Benjamin Mann :

@Christopher Phillips

Thanks Christopher. If I was to go

With septic and a well for water would the local water company be able to quote me a price or would that be a separate company...say a drilling company?

Like Justin mentioned, you first need to see what’s available. Sometimes there is more than one option, sometimes only one source...

would help if you provided just some basic details.. like state city ? etc.. each state is wildly different and each city is the same.  these things cant be answered on an online forum.

easiest way to do this is simply go to the planning department and talk to a planner they will usually know the utls situation.

@Christopher Phillips

Thanks again Christopher. So I’m looking at several different parcels in the desert of California, some have water and electricity “close” to the property some not at all, and none have sewage. I’ll start contacting the local utilities companies soon.

Thanks again

@Jay Hinrichs

Thanks Jay, the land is in Yucca Valley Califnornia which falls under the San Bernardino county. It’s the desert there’s a lot of raw land. Most the land I’m looking at say utilities are “close” and some of the land is raw so I’m trying to the price of getting utilities to the property or going off the grid.

Thanks for your reply!! I’ll be contacting some companies soon.

@Benjamin Mann as @Jay Hinrichs said, your first step isn’t the utility companies, it’s city planning. They are going to charge you a “rent seeking” extortion fee for allowing you to connect water in, sewer out, electrical and gas. After that you can call contractors for estimates on the actual cost of connecting and excavating as needed for utilities. Besides this theremay be zoning and land restriction requirements you need to know before making a bid.

@Steve B. Thanks for the information Steve...so I’m looking at a few parcels of land, when I call city planning and give them the parcels number shall they be able tell me zoning, regulations and what utilities if any can be connected?

Originally posted by @Benjamin Mann :

@Steve B. Thanks for the information Steve...so I’m looking at a few parcels of land, when I call city planning and give them the parcels number shall they be able tell me zoning, regulations and what utilities if any can be connected?

2.5 acre lots in these parts of CA will rarely have anything more than power lines .. its to expensive to run city water and sewer to lots that big unless its some sort of infill that got developed all around it..