Houston multi family homes?

3 Replies

I see people talking about multi family properties to invest in to create cash flow but in the houston suburbs I don’t find a ton of these that are in decent areas that would bring good renters. I haven’t done a ton of research here so sort of going on a wimb in my own head. I’ll

I see a FEW duplexes and A few side by side townhome’s that are 1500sqft but not a lot in the range of 3-4 family residencies.

Is there a need for new construction of these type of homes in the greater Houston area? My Main purpose would be to rent them out.

Originally posted by @Dustin Burt :

I see people talking about multi family properties to invest in to create cash flow but in the houston suburbs I don’t find a ton of these that are in decent areas that would bring good renters. I haven’t done a ton of research here so sort of going on a wimb in my own head. I’ll

I see a FEW duplexes and A few side by side townhome’s that are 1500sqft but not a lot in the range of 3-4 family residencies.

Is there a need for new construction of these type of homes in the greater Houston area? My Main purpose would be to rent them out.

Gotta go out of the burbs.  There are 100000 inside the loop.  Search area 16

Originally posted by @Dustin Burt :

@Cody L.

Do these areas tend to bring a decent demographic or do you have to deal with a lot of trouble and damage on your properties?

Depends. In general, east of 288 will have better rent:purchase ratios, but you have to know how to manage a tougher demo. So in that regard you'll do better or worse in a bad area depending on your ability to manage it.  West of 288 will have low returns because you're talking about very desirable areas (midtown/montrose/heights/kirby/rice/etc.), though you'll not be killed by a bad manager as there isn't as much riding on their quality if it's a good area.

I have a lot in 77006 but I also but a lot in 77004 since you get more bang for your buck and it's clear that area is getting better.